Why do Taylors sound the way they do?

Morecowbell

Why do Taylors sound the way they do?

Post by Morecowbell »

I've been playing my son's Taylor 314ce recently (because the V-neck on my old Gibson is getting pretty painful on left hand & forearm), which has led me to the guitar store for a guitar to hold me over til I get one built. So of course I've played everything in town and am just puzzled by the Taylor sound - I don't want to get into a discussion about what's better or what's not, its all subjective. But it seems to me that Taylor has figured out a way to get a very high "sound quality to dollar" ratio on their instruments, and was wondering if there is anything specific that they do differently than other manufacturers? I searched and found the polyester finish, bolt on neck, etc., but that hardly seems significant. There are others that are good - I'll be getting a Yamaha FS830 which is honestly an amazing guitar for $300 - but Taylor seems to have found a formula that is compelling, at least to me. So was just curious if there's anything significantly different that they do in terms of design, construction, materials, etc.?

Thanks
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Why do Taylors sound the way they do?

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I think some of it is because of the relief routing around the edge of the top.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Short answer: I think it all matters. Taylor goes to lengths we'll never know in order to mass-produce a family of guitars.

Last year I visited a luthier in the wilds of Wisconsin and our conversation revolved around his I've-heard-the-angels-singing guitar he showed me. Any one thing define the sound? Nope. Everything.

Diane mentions one invisible subtlety that for-sure helps Taylors sound, well, like Taylors (and I'm a high-order Taylor fan). I suspect there's a hundred more.
peter havriluk
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Ah - didn't know about the edge routing, that seems significant. The Kincaid book (I think - I've read it somewhere) mentions thinning the top at the joint, interesting!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

with taylor it is all cnc so no hand involvement. A very uniform process.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com