Need help identifying a guitar

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
TEETERFAN

Need help identifying a guitar

Post by TEETERFAN »

So a buddy of mine sent me this old picture of his father (that he never met). Does anyone recognize the make of this achtop? I am thinking Stella or Harmony, but name is hard to read, looks like it starts with an “S”. Perhaps someone knows. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Need help identifying a guitar

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Maybe a Kay
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm pretty sure this is the guitar. It's a Supertone archtop. The info I found on this picture calls it a 1950s S40. It's not a 50s model, but older. The f-holes look to be 30-40.

You'll note that the logo looks right, the f-holes correct, and the odd arrangement of the fretmarkers are correct (2 on fret 7).

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/musica ... 28-84031.s
lf.jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

https://gpguitars.com/products/1940s-ss ... hollowbody
the headstock appears similar to the SS Stewart makes For sure interesting. Dianne is learning more every time and she may be right in that the owner may have embelished the headstock.

hope you find the info
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

That Supertone logo and 7th fret “double dot” looks like a match! My buddy will be excited. He thought that may be a flower stuck behind the nut. Thanks to everyone for the great help with this!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

glad you found your info
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The logo is the old Art Deco logo. It reads 'supertone " across the top, then has vertical lines in a deco pattern. It's in gold, so 60-70 years ago, it would be a lot brighter, especially in the sunlight, where he's playing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Thanks again, everyone. I passed this all on to my friend and he was so grateful for your efforts. He himself is a guitarist and played professionally (local bands) for over 40 years. And like I mentioned, he never met or knew his father, so every bit of information helps him get a better picture. Thanks!
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm was really glad to help. Never knew my father either, so I understand.

After restoring a Washburn archtop for a client, I fell in love with these old ladies.

I found an old archtop on Ebay, complete with original case, original Black Diamond replacement strings (in the packages), pitch pipe, and a treasure trove of old 1920's music books, Inc. one song played on "Brother Where Art Thou", by Jimmy Rogers. It even had a 96 guitar lessons, addressed to a young boy on December 4, 1941 (you know what happened on December 7, 1941).

It's an old Supertone, dated mid 1930's. I did extensive research on it, downloading old catalogs. They were offered at Sears. In 1940, Sears bought the company, rebranding it Silvertone. So, you know when you see a Supertone, it's pre WWII.

The scientist in me comes to the fore with old instruments. I love researching.

My current subject is the old archtop with inlay that I've just restored. I've got it narrowed down to Italian made for the Japanese market. I'm 90% sure it was made by Raffael Calace. Unfortunately, he sighed his guitars on the top, in the lower bout. My archtop had been refinished, badly.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I agree with ya, Diane, these old archtops have so much character. I fell in love with that 1930 something archtop you just restored. Sure, it isn’t a pre-war Martin, but it displays so much creativity and freedom in its design. They are treasures.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City