Hollow body tailpiece

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
slskunk

Hollow body tailpiece

Post by slskunk »

Does anyone know what type of bridge was intended here? I got this guitar body recently along with several other guitar parts and I’m thinking about finishing it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Hollow body tailpiece

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm pretty sure that you have a Harmony Rocket, or something very similar. You need a tailpiece and these components.

The bridge is a floating bridge.

And here ya go:

Greenten 6 String Archtop Jazz Guitar Bridge Rosewood Chrome Hardware Guitar Parts https://a.co/d/4dqRGkC
et0t2jjpbf3aykkcshle.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The link that I gave you gives you 3 choices. The other is an ebony bridge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
slskunk

Post by slskunk »

thanks for the link. My question was more about the large round hole cut into the guitar where the tailpiece should go. I was wondering if there is a certain type of tailpiece that would fit into that.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I saw that hole too. I'll do some research, but my gut tells me that someone relocated a volume knob, or added something similar, like a gain, to this spot and it's a modification.

It would be helpful if you could list the parts that came with it. What do you know about the guitar?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't know of a tailpiece or bridge that would fit the hole. It's possible that a large bridge would cover that spot, and the hole is for an under saddle piezo. But I've never seen such a large hole for a piezo wire. It really looks like a hole for a knob that was added later.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The only thing I can think of is a vibrato tailpiece. I'll have to research, because I've not installed one. I
think
the older ones might have needed the hole.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
slskunk

Post by slskunk »

Thanks everyone. I think it’s a Harmony Meteor from the 60s. I found a pic of it which has the same somewhat strange looking f holes. Anyway it’s a weird place to put a switch! But yes i think i can cover it with a wrap around tailpiece.
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

I think it is a Harmony Meteor. Correct f-holes, single cutaway. That hole is a mystery.
Kevin Doty
Kansas City
TEETERFAN

Post by TEETERFAN »

Actually this pic is closer, mid sixties Harmony Meteor H74
Kevin Doty
Kansas City