Heard the other day...

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
MaineGeezer

Heard the other day...

Post by MaineGeezer »

"Gibsons sound like Gibsons, and Guilds sound like Guilds, and Taylors sound like Taylors, and Martins sound like guitars."
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Re: Heard the other day...

Post by jread »

I like that quote. Certainly a hot topic. In my opinion, all of mine sound better than my neighbor's perfectly built, all Koa Taylor. It's a beautiful build but leaves you feeling like it's muted. I never thought about Gibsons much but Gillian Welch and her J-50 sound pretty great. Been thinking I might have to try to build one like that.
Morecowbell

Re: Heard the other day...

Post by Morecowbell »

The only real experience I have is with my ancient Gibson L-30 and my son's Taylor 314CE. No Martins in the stable so can't comment on my Taylor vs Martin take. I like the Taylor sound, but the routed channel in the lower bout is concerning - I find it hard to believe that isn't going to be a structural issue in the future. My guess is that that channel has a lot to do with the Taylor sound, and it makes me wonder if maybe Taylor configured their sound for immediate gratification while Martin is content with the long haul and natural aging/break-in process?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut