www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peghed tuners
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 pm 

Hello, folks. The Newbie again... Anybody had experience with Peghed tuners? Hoping that I might get some feedback on using them on a tenor ukulele my first build.

Gratefully,

Post subject: Re: Peghed tuners
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:57 am 

I put a set on an old banjo that had straight friction pegs. They do work better than straight friction pegs, but unless one is upgrading an old instrument and wants to keep "the look," I would opt for something else. But that's me. If you want the appearance of friction pegs on your build, they will certainly give it to you. I think other options may work better, however.

Personally, if I wanted the straight-peg look, I'd go with Waverly planetary banjo tuners https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Pa ... _Pegs.html
They don't try to mimic the appearance of friction pegs, as the PegHeds do, but they suggest it.
The 5-Star brand is cheaper, and probably equally reliable, but I like the Waverlys.

I've used several sets of the Waverly tuners on dulcimers and on one banjo, with total satisfaction.

I found the PegHeds to be a bit finicky to install.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:09 pm 

I have not used them but have seen them advertised a couple of times. WOuld be great to get a first hand report

Since ukes are so easy to tune, I think a regular-old friction peg like on a violin wouldn't be too bad. Martin used them for the first 5-7 years or so when they started in 1916. These Pegheads look like something fun to try, although for $80 a set???. I have used the Grover geared tuners available for less than $25 and am more than happy with them - but they are a different thing. And for a guitar, here is something new. Frank Ford is ready to introduce banjo tuner with a 10:1 gear ratio so now you can successfully copy those early OM's and other guitars that had them. I am thinking of a Stauffer head with them on:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520895

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:45 pm 

Anything you use should be fine, mostly a matter of cost and personal preference. I like waverlies and bit on their sale this weekend for a planned OM Deluxe copy. Don't fear wood pegs, well seated they work fine. My 1917 Martin uke has its original pegs and they still work well. I successfully used wood pegs on the ukes I've made.