www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:43 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I finished my kit guitar, but there is a rise where the neck meets the body. I think this is probably from the hide glue expansion underneath the extension. What would be the proper procedure for solving this?

I'm thinking:

1)Pull frets up to 12th fret
2)Adjust the truss rod til neck is straight
3)San fingerboard using a radiused block until extension is level with the rest of the board using a precision straight edge
4) refret
5)level and crown frets again

Is this right, or am I missing anything?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:37 pm 

Will a picture show the problem? Seeing helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:09 am 

I agree with Dan, picture is essential - could be a few things

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:44 pm 

This was very hard to get a picture of with my camera. The picture is the best I could do, but it's more visible in person. I know some of the frets have risen after I strung up the guitar, they need to be pounded down. However, the rise at the body joint is so high that knocking them down won't fix it entirely, as I'm losing some notes.

https://imgur.com/a/rWxj6j0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:03 pm 

The neck geometry appears to be slightly off; the fingerboard plane seems to cut into the bridge or at least that's my take on the photo. Is the sides/heel joint still tight? The truss rod would adjust for relief bowing, but i wonder about whether it would do much here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:20 pm 

Hide glue had nothing to do with this
here is a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNcbA1P95KE&t=15s
I would say you missed a step in the neck setting process or you have a serious humidity issue

had you done the proper steps , and it was straight , then you may have had a swing in the rh this will make a rise in the top. In sever RH swings it can lift the upper part of the top

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 pm 

I'm having a hard time understanding what you guys mean. I actually used that video step by step to set my neck. I even used the video to set my neck block with a screw that John posted. I watched those videos a lot. The neck seems to be the right place, the heel is tight to the body on both sides. I measured everything a thousand times before setting, I'm extremely paranoid about these things. The guitar was almost perfectly intonated when I first strung it up. Everything looks straight in person except for the hump at the body. So what are you guys saying, there's no way to fix this? To my eyes it just looks like some wood needs to be removed on the fingerboard extension

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:21 pm 

Mike,
If you placed a straight edge on frets 1-13, it looks like your FB is straight. If you extended the straight edge to fret 22, to keep on the frets 1-13 it would have to cut thru the FB extension frets coming to the bridge below the saddle. In addition to losing some upper range frets, your saddle would need to eventually get lower. The fix is a neck reset (John can confirm that or indicate another remedy). The good news is that getting this right will add to your experience regardless of the approach taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:45 pm 

Honestly, I don't think a neck reset would do anything. I think John was on to something about the humidity. I live really close to Lake Ontario, and sometimes the humidity here gets so thick you feel like you are eating the air. Upon inspection, the fingerboard looks thicker over the body than on the neck. It seems to me, somehow the wood swelled on the extension.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:32 am 

feel free to call me
also get a good hygrometer and know your RH at time of build and current it saves a lot of issues

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com