www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm 

Was wanting to get some ivoroid binding, but the crazy shipping price for the hazmat material is making me second guess that.

How different does cream plastic binding look from ivoroid? What about working with the plastic as opposed to the celluloid?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm 

from 3 feet you won't notice it at all

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 pm 

It depends on what the definition of "cream" is. I have some allegedly cream-colored plastic binding, and to me, that particular "cream" binding has a very definite warm brown cast to its color when compared to the ivoroid. I tried to take a picture of the two strips to show the difference, with indifferent success. Perhaps that just demonstrates that difference is in fact quite minor; or it may just mean that I'm not very good at taking pictures. anyway, here's a picture. Ivoroid is on the bottom.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:17 pm 

Ivoroid is Ivoroid and is not cream. Maybe the cream will do for the look. If you asked a bunch of us if we wanted to buy some, and you could order a large amount with the one $32 charge from S-M, then send everyones portion along, it might make things work

This guy has a $33 charge, but has a very cool selection of ivoroid stuff including sheets for end graphs, pickguards, and heel caps, and even cross grained binding which looks fabulous in a rosette

http://www.axinc.net/Cross_Grain_Ivoroid_Binding_Strip_p/cc.htm

The first picture is a remake of an early National Tri-Cone with the cross-grained binding on the fretboard

The rosette in the second one is a copy off an early Gibosn F-4 with the cross-grain in the center

Ed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.