www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:15 pm 

Building boat interiors, we would counteract the tendency of a 7 foot piece of 2 X 2 hardwood (for a door jamb, as an example) to warp by ripping it half, spinning one half end-for-end, then gluing it back together. I think that a 5 piece neck would never warp or twist - too much resistance in the lams. A reset won't correct twist. And a laminated neck won't weigh anymore than a single piece neck if all the woods weigh the same. Of course it will be heavier with a lam or two of a heavier wood. You can check this by looking up the weights of various woods you might use:

https://cedarstripkayak.wordpress.com/lumber-selection/162-2/

The weights are variable by piece, but all the woods you might use are in the mid-40 lb/ft3 range - mahogany, maple, cherry, walnut - and the glue is so thin it would not add appreciably.

I recently built a white oak neck that was lighter than a comparable mahogany neck because it was very tight grained and this results in less weight.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 am 

As Ed pointed out, cutting, then turning one piece 180°, so that it's against the grain, should mitigate the propensity of the wood to warp. That's how I make my laminated necks, and I've not had a problem with warping at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:45 pm 

I need to figure out how to take a picture of my #1, and I feel like it may have not truly twisted but it certainly needs an adjustment. It's a bolt on and there are no gaps in the neck joint so I'm wondering if the neck just settled in somewhat and I need to just reset it. I certainly would like to remove it and adjust the neck profile; it's a bit beefy. The body is doing great though; for a cedar top it's got quite a bit of "sparkle" which married with a deep body is very loud! The only thing I'm unhappy about is the neck but I think it can be tweaked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 pm 

I made a mahogany neck three days ago. I used neck materials purchased from a vendor we'd all recognize. The neck was 'bought right', and was marked as 'off quarter' when received. As I like laminated necks, I cut both the neck shaft and the heel block in half, swapped the bits around so that both sides' grain points toward the center, laminated them to a quarter-inch-wide piece of walnut, and I have a beautiful neck that ain't ever gonna misbehave. Achieved by lamination and a bit of planning. I'm delighted. There's at least one major manufacturer who laminates necks as a matter of course, as fewer necks get involved in guarantee conversations. Sounds all good to me. I don't mind copying somebody else's good idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13