Anyone used a portable belt sander to thickness sand B & S's

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Anyone used a portable belt sander to thickness sand B & S's

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Just wondering if any of you have tried to use a portable belt sander to thickness sand? I have been using a pneumatic straight line sander with slow, but pretty effective success.
If you have, tell us about it.

Kevin
tippie53

Re: Anyone used a portable belt sander to thickness sand B &

Post by tippie53 »

I have in my early days . It does work but just take time.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Re: Anyone used a portable belt sander to thickness sand B &

Post by darren »

I borrowed and used a hand planer for my first (eir) boy was that scary. Tried a jack plane on my second (figured koa - lots of tear-out) which caused me to buy and finish the koa with a portable belt sander. Used the belt sander on the walnut I'm currently working on as well. If you follow a pattern and use consistent pressure it works ok. Like you said go slow. I go fairly aggressive across the grain and then lighter at 45 degrees and finally with the grain, measure, and do it again in the other direction.

After I'm in the ballpark I've found I need to spend some time with a sanding block and 100 grit to even things out. It definitely isn't perfect but works for the time being. I'm, after all, "in my early days" still. :)

Dust goes straight into the shop vac, but the whole operation sure is loud, that's the worst part.
Darren