A 5th guitar?

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
MaineGeezer

A 5th guitar?

Post by MaineGeezer »

Not knowing enough to quit after 4 reasonably successful guitar builds, I'm thinking about trying a 5th.

I've been wondering for quite a while what a guitar built entirely of Port Orford cedar would sound like. My guess it would be extremely resonant. What do you think? Would it be something one would want, or would it just be weird?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Re: A 5th guitar?

Post by koolimy »

I have only built 1 guitar (and badly at that) so I don't know if I'm qualified to answer, but I read a post on acousticguitarforum where somebody built a guitar entirely out of softwoods (I'm not sure what it was, sorry). If I remember correctly, he said that the guitar sounded like a normal guitar! So it seems like it is not a bad way to go.

If I take a guess I think it will be closer to the mahogany side of things, where it emphasizes the fundamental more than the overtones.

I think if you want to build it you should! You could let us know what an all POC guitar sounds like after you finish.
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I think Ed Minch built one from Cedar. Look back in Show It Off or Blogs by ruby@magpage.com to see if you can find it.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Seeing as how the soundboard is aptly named, my guess is that the body could be made out of almost anything and the result would still sound like a guitar.
peter havriluk
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, I just went down cellar and discovered I already have set of POC sides, left over from few years ago. So "all" I had to buy was a top and back.I just sent in the order....

I will also need kerfing, and maybe binding and purfling if I don't have anything lying around that appeals to me, and some tuners, and a fingerboard, and....good grief. What have I let myself in for, again?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
koolimy

Post by koolimy »

MaineGeezer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:41 pm Well, I just went down cellar and discovered I already have set of POC sides, left over from few years ago. So "all" I had to buy was a top and back.I just sent in the order....

I will also need kerfing, and maybe binding and purfling if I don't have anything lying around that appeals to me, and some tuners, and a fingerboard, and....good grief. What have I let myself in for, again?
LOL, I can understand a bit your feeling. I just finished a guitar not long ago and I find myself looking at this board and the kit guitar supplier websites everyday just to see if there are any interesting things going on.

Let us know what an all POC guitar is like! Sounds very interesting.