New bender and sander

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
RHayes

New bender and sander

Post by RHayes »

Really happy about both of these items. The bender took a couple of trips to the local landfill. We have a wonderful free pile with a shed roof over it where you are welcome to take or leave items. What I think was an older printer cabinet made the sides, oak clamp parts and caul, the threaded rod was another find along with some aluminum and misc. steel. Discarded refrigeration units are in a separate pile, and I got a door from some sort of ss commercial cooler. Was a bit of work to get the foam off the back side but now have enough stainless for another bender or two. The heat blanket was new off ebay, about 75.00 with a controller. This is a game changer, my first practice sides came out so well I just might use them. About three minutes instead of thirty.( then ten minutes cooking)
IMG_0723.jpg

The sander was not cheap but I was tired of chasing craigslist adds so a couple of clicks and it was delivered. Always wanted one and guitar building pushed me over the edge. Took about an hour to assemble then I spent another two or three tweaking it. Been sanding all sorts of things and have no complaints.
IMG_0722.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skarsaune

Re: New bender and sander

Post by Skarsaune »

I built my first thickness sander, and it was great. Useful for tons of things. Then I found a big Grizzly dual drum with power feed for $300 local, so I snapped that up.

I got one of John’s benders from a poster getting out of building. Soooo easy compared to bending over a pipe.

Both have really improved my process. Congrats on getting yours.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

I have that same sander and like you, I bought it new and have no regrets. What a great machine and it comes in handy all the time.
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I was not familiar with that brand of sander. It looks great, and the infeed and outfeed tables are a great addition! I lucked out on a used Delta 18-36 and it made my entry into lutherie so much easier. And a nice job on your bender too.
jread

Post by jread »

Super impressive bender and sourcing materials!
RHayes

Post by RHayes »

Skarsaune, great find on the Griz sander. Would love to have found something like that and I know not to look at craigslist now because great deals turn up after you pay in full!

Stray Feathers, the tables were part of a promotion and were included, normally a 150.00 accessory. I actually set out to buy the 1632 but no one had any in stock and I went for this one.

jread, the local "dump" serves an area of wealthy recreational lake homes so it makes for a great selection of stuff and has a no questions asked return policy!!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Congratulations on your new tools.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
RHayes

Post by RHayes »

Bent some better maple and was feeling good about the minimal amount of spring back. Completely tolerable. Then on to some mahogony which has been a bit humbling. Lots of spring back so will be going to school on this. Its from some boards that I tried to pick the most quarter sawn but it is probably not optimal. Will try some paper and higher heat, although I was getting a small amount of black. The blanket is on top of the side in the stack. I only allowed for the side thickness in the form, not blanket thickness too and I took a bit extra out of the waist curve too. Works so well with maple but maybe better to have heat on inside for tougher wood?