FastTrack MK2 Sharpening System

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

FastTrack MK2 Sharpening System

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've sharpened my tools with pretty much everything available. It all works. I've wanted something idiot proof, where I can stop mid build, to quickly put a good, scary sharp edge on my tool, quickly. No fuss or muss.

Enter the MK2. I first saw a review for this sharpening system in an online woodworking article a couple of years ago. I bought the set.
The difference is that you move the sharpener side to side. Your tool doesn't move. Angled diamond plates do the sharpening. There are 4 commonly used angles in which to choose.

The plates are magnetic, and they simply snap into place. You place your chisel or iron in the guide, barely touching the diamond plate, then move the sharpener side to side. It quickly sharpens the edge, and I mean QUICKLY! It really is idiot proof.

I sharpened all 15 chisels in a few minutes. You can easily find the plates, should you need to replace them; they come in 100 to 1000 grit. I've only got stock photos.

I found a hardware store in Ohio, that sells through Ebay. They have the best price on the system and they're lightening fast shipping.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll post a link.
mr10014.png
ei_mr10014_8.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
lonecedar959

Re: FastTrack MK2 Sharpening System

Post by lonecedar959 »

Hi Diane

Yes - I am interested. Please post your link -and Thanks !!!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

lonecedar959 wrote:Hi Diane

Yes - I am interested. Please post your link -and Thanks !!!
This is Hartville Hardware, located in Ohio. I ordered from them and got the stuff the next day. Of course, I'm in WV, so the parcel only had to travel 150 miles.

This system runs $159. Their price is $109 inc. shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274310988157
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here's the link directly to Hartville Hardware. They're prices are excellent. I'm in the process of ordering a couple more things from them.

https://www.hartvilletool.com/#about
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
JLT

Post by JLT »

Diane Kauffmds wrote:Here's the link directly to Hartville Hardware. They're prices are excellent. I'm in the process of ordering a couple more things from them.

https://www.hartvilletool.com/#about
The link to the article itself is:

https://www.hartvilletool.com/category/ ... tTrack+MK2

It looks like a nifty system, particularly after I put a slight hollow grind on the tool with my trusty Wen Wet Wheel (probably not made anymore, but can be found on eBay and elsewhere for around $30). Let us know further down the road if you're still happy with the tool.

And stay safe. (Of course, the best way to stay safe in the shop is to keep your tools sharp, but we all know that already, right?)
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

Sharpening is one of those things that has been done a millions of times by millions of people and still there is no "one best" answer. I've tried a lot of things over the years, with mixed results. I love diamond plates for fast stock removal on a damaged edge or for changing the cutting edge angle, but I have yet to see a mirror surface on a blade from diamonds. Waterstones, and maybe ceramics, are the only way to get that in my experience. Also, all of the diamond jigs that I have seen quickly wear a groove in the diamond surface because they align the cutting surface to the blade in the same place every time. Maybe this jig is different.Takes all kinds though. My Japanese friend who studied with Temple carvers in Japan swears that it is impossible to get a chisel sharp using any kind of jig. To him, it must be done free hand! Every once in awhile I take a stab at free hand sharpening, and it takes me about 1 minute to go back to using a jig! I'd love to be able to do it free hand though.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

being a meat cutter I learned how to sharpen. I do have a tormek copy that works well but I still use my water stones for final.
Use what works for you sharp tools work dull tools don't
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

This is true. You won't get a mirror edge. No one system is perfect, which is why I own several systems, which I've posted in the past. To get a mirror edge, I use the MKA2, then my whet stones with the alisam guide. I use the electric whetstone sharpener, to redo edges that have chipped.

The MK is great for new folks, to get precise, repeatable angles, and to maintain an edge while working. For the time it takes for me to properly set up my stones and get my chisel lined up right in my guide, I can sharpen an edge in 3 minutes flat on an MK2, while in the midst of cleaning up the bracing on a top or back.

In other words, it encourages me to keep my chisels scary sharp while working. I hate having to stop what I'm doing to sharpen a chisel, so I have a very bad habit of trying to finish with a dull tool. It's downright dangerous. But, sometimes I don't realize how dull they've become until I'm deep into work.

You can most definitely knock the diamonds off if you put too much pressure on the chisel or iron. I had to learn to barely touch the edge to the stones.

Also, what looks like a groove is usually swarf stuck around the diamonds, from sharpening. Using a rubber cleaner will remove it, revealing the diamonds.

There is no one panacea for sharpening. Use of multiple methods, that can be tailored to a specific situation, is what most of us end up doing. I have an excellent guide with whetstones. If I had a choice, just starting out, I would choose the MK2. But, that's me.

Bob and John are right. Use whatever works and encourages you to keep those tools sharp!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Something to keep in mind is that a good piece of steel can stay sharp for months, super sharp for weeks, super-duper sharp for days, and crazy sharp for minutes. Which one do you need? I have taken 2 Windsor chair classes from a Canadian who uses 150 grit glued to a stick to sharpen his planes, chisels, drawknives, spokeshaves, adzes, scorps, travishers, and other sundry edge tools he might need - just right for the job.

I use wet/dry emory paper on glass (after a couple of diamond plates if shaping or chip removal is needed) and i go to 220 or 400 for general work, but on to 2000 with a hone on pine laced with green compound for cabinet and guitar work. I find I don't really have to do anything very often, but if I think of it, before a brace carving I might do a round of 600-1000-1500-2000-green compound which might take a total of 60-90 seconds.

And long-live vintage tools!!

Ed
A craftsman never blames his tools - that's why I borrow them whenever I can
Ed M
JLT

Post by JLT »

A question for Diane:

Have you tried the MK2 on smaller blades like carving blades, or gouges with a curve? How does it work with them?