Nifty Little Sander!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
jread

Re: Nifty Little Sander!

Post by jread »

Bob Gleason wrote:Just saying how much I like this little sander the more I use it. Really great for pearl work. No need to get up and walk to the sander anymore.
Sweet rosette! Thanks for posting.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Finally used my sander for the first time tonight. Runs beautifully smooth, no shivers, no shakes, and was a treat to use sanding a bone nut to shape. Plenty powerful enough for the needs I have.

But...the bench clamp casting threads were stripped, new out of the box. Seeing as I'm in Connecticut and I bought it from a Menard's in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and the closest Menard's to me is in Ohio, the clamp ain't getting swapped out anytime soon. I'll see what the power tool repair parts department at the True Value in town has to offer. I suspect a metric nut and Mr. Goldberg's engineering skills will resolve the problem.

But the sander itself, a treat. A very welcome addition to the tool pile.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

phavriluk wrote:Finally used my sander for the first time tonight. Runs beautifully smooth, no shivers, no shakes, and was a treat to use sanding a bone nut to shape. Plenty powerful enough for the needs I have.

But...the bench clamp casting threads were stripped, new out of the box. Seeing as I'm in Connecticut and I bought it from a Menard's in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and the closest Menard's to me is in Ohio, the clamp ain't getting swapped out anytime soon. I'll see what the power tool repair parts department at the True Value in town has to offer. I suspect a metric nut and Mr. Goldberg's engineering skills will resolve the problem.

But the sander itself, a treat. A very welcome addition to the tool pile.
Peter, did you try notifying customer service? I live in West Virginia and I know that building supply and hardware stores have been designated as essential businesses. They may have special hours, but they're open.

I'm glad you like the sander. I'm sorry that the screw is stripped. I hope they'll resolve the problem.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

Diane, good suggestions. Thanks very much. My sales receipt went the way of the empty box once I tested the sander when I brought it home. I'm happier messing with the clamp locally, any repair will cost pennies. Worst to worst, I alter a c-clamp to fit the sander and I'm on my way and I already have those.

My motivation in speaking up about the clamp was to encourage anyone buying this beautiful tool to open the box and check the clamp before leaving the store. Much hassle will be saved. I can't believe that there's only one bad clamp out there.
peter havriluk
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

absolutely. I ordered my sander, which came from Zanesville, Ohio, a good hour's drive away. They're building a Menards about 5 miles from me, which will be nice, because I'll be able to get replacement sanding discs.

BTW, right now I'm using 5" discs from my local Ace hardware store. They work well on the sander and they're good quality. They're ACE brand.

I'm still going to order a second one...
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

This is kind of an old thread, but just checking in with a couple more thoughts about this little sander. It has become my shop "buddy" for pearl. I used it for awhile on top of my bench, but I had to stand up to use it, so I made a little plywood dogleg to lower it down to a more comfortable height. Since I wear an Optivisor all the time I'm doing pearl, fumbling for the switch on the sander was a pain, so I put the machine on a foot switch which is really nice. Stay safe!--Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BEJ

Post by BEJ »

Bob Gleason wrote:This is kind of an old thread, but just checking in with a couple more thoughts about this little sander. It has become my shop "buddy" for pearl. I used it for awhile on top of my bench, but I had to stand up to use it, so I made a little plywood dogleg to lower it down to a more comfortable height. Since I wear an Optivisor all the time I'm doing pearl, fumbling for the switch on the sander was a pain, so I put the machine on a foot switch which is really nice. Stay safe!--Bob
Great mounting set up, will be making something like it when my "nifty little sander" gets here, been on back order for a few weeks.

One of the great things about internet forums, exposure to others' discoveries, shortcuts, tips, etc...