redwood 00

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
tubegeek

Re: redwood 00

Post by tubegeek »

Stunning.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

1) Now for the back. I cut a strip off of each side before I bent them and am using them for the back binding. Here I am taping them on the body to set the shape

2) Forgot to take a picture, but installing them is much like the top binding. Difference is that there is no room for error here, but I left some room

3) Pretty good here, but a little open in a couple of areas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
tubegeek

Post by tubegeek »

That 3rd pic looking down into the flame is just amazing. I love the non-contrasting (matching?) binding, never really seen it done like that.
ruby@magpage.com

I lost track of orientation - I was after having the binding match as closely as possible with the side it was against

Ed
Ed M
tubegeek

Post by tubegeek »

Well it looks really cool to me!
ruby@magpage.com

1) Now to open up the neck mortice that's living behind the sides

2) A back saw, chisels, and . . . .

3) Ready to go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Now for a neck - this will probably be the only Stauffer neck that I build, so I want the details to be just right. I am finding the head angle was anywhere from a couple of degrees to over 20°. I will make it the same 15° I usually use.

2) All my parts. A beautiful pice of mahogany given to me by a cabinetmaker friend - an off-cut if you can believe it, the Richlite fretboard I thought I would try, the fabulous Rickard 10:1 banjo tuners, a sheet of ivoroid for the head plate, and my head design - ready to go

3) I use my pine mock-up to find the best spot on the blank
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Cut the head angle and plane it flat

2) Mark the head shape. I will have to glue on a little piece for the round tip of the head. I don't know if this is true, but it just HAD to be the influence for the Bigsby and the Fender heads
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Ready for some shaping

2) The only defect in the whole blank and it ended up about 1/8" outside the head shape
Ed M
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Ed - its really fun to watch this come together. Thanks for taking the time to post all the details.
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut