Englemann tops example ( baked vs standard )

Tops only
jread

Englemann tops example ( baked vs standard )

Post by jread »

Good comparison photos.

Here are two Englemann spruce tops with a wash coat of shellac.

The lighter one is a standard top from LMI purchased in the late 70's but only recently sanded.

The darker one is a new torrefied top from RC Tonewoods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Englemann tops example ( baked vs standard )

Post by tippie53 »

there are so many doing this now . it is hard to know who has the process well down
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
JLT

Post by JLT »

Is the purpose to put a stiffer soundboard on the treble side? Isn't that something that could be better regulated with varying the bracing?
jread

Post by jread »

JLT wrote:Is the purpose to put a stiffer soundboard on the treble side? Isn't that something that could be better regulated with varying the bracing?
I'll let the experts speak on brace design. I just wanted to try it out to compare it to some Englemann tops I had. I sure like the browned appearance which is not just surface but the entire plate changes. It looks, feels, and smells older and dustier. It has more irritating sawdust and seem to just want to crack, especially the torrefied braces. I've only done one so I'm not a good source of info here. I'm closing up this body today but overall I liked working with it.

update: a couple weeks later my basement shop still smells like torrefied sawdust. Not totally unpleasant I think I can assume the guitar will smell like this for a good long while out of the sound hole.