Using CA Glue on Binding and Purfling

What're You Doing?
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Using CA Glue on Binding and Purfling

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Cleanup can be tedious if you use too much glue. I've found that I use less tape when I use the 3M 233+ tape. I also use a paper towel to wipe the excess as I go. It doesn't take much ca glue to get under the tape. It helps to untape and use the paper towel, if you've applied too much. But, for the most part, I don't have too much to clean up if I don't get too crazy with the glue. The glue will find it's way down into the binding under the tape.

This photo shows pretty much the extent of the glue I have to clean up.
IMG_3098.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Great tutorial, and anything with a Seinfeld reference gets a thumbs-up from me.

I have a sort of love-hate relationship with CA glue (its complicated) - is the alternative Duco cement for this procedure?
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

You don't have to seal spruce with Duco. To use Duco, you need to apply it into the channels, then put your binding/purfing into place, then tape. I apply Duco to 1/4 of the guitar edge at a time, to allow adequate time to get the binding into place and taped, before applying more and continuing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I found a very inexpensive and very helpful tool to use with Duco Cement: I bought a bunch of 1-ounce squeeze bottles with metal tips and little funnels to use filling the bottles, and decanted my tube of Duco into one of the bottles. Instant volume and mess control for less than half a dollar. Saved that much in glue I didn't waste. Delighted.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Peter

Do you have a source for that bottle?

Ed
Ed M
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I bought these through Amazon, 'Ageomet 30 pc 15 ml....'. 30 bottles, 10 funnels, $9.99. Best 35-cent tool I ever bought. I'll bet Titebond would be lots less messy for precise little jobs, too. I just did a search just on 'Ageomet' on Amazon and the bottles showed up.
peter havriluk
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

thanks - will order

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

After visiting with John Hall and seeing how he keeps his ca glue, I keep my ca glue in plastic transfer pipettes, in which I've stretched the working end. I never open the tip of the main glue bottle. I keep several of the transfer pipettes, with ca glue, upside down in bottles on every work bench. They never harden and if I simply clean the tip with a paper towel after use, the tips don't clog. If a tip does clog, I simply snip it away.

CA glue activates when it comes in contact with alkalis and also water. Water molecules are in the air and in wood. Alkalis may or may not be present in some metal tips.

I'll post a link to John's video on stretching pipettes.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here is the link to John Hall's video on stretching pipettes for ca glue. I use a $5 alcohol lamp and I stretch 20+ at a time to keep on hand. You can stretch them with a heat gun, or even a hairdryer, that's clamped in a vise.

The video says "Dust Collection" at the beginning, but it's the video on pipettes.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/ZQvW_nULD18
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Selah

Post by Selah »

So, I’ve not used CA glue like this before. Do I just put a couple of drops in and it seeks it’s way into the joint? The micro tip helps apply it precisely where it needs to be? I guess I’m just a little hesitant about the CA finding its way into the crack and getting good adhesion.