Cool tools

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ruby@magpage.com

Cool tools

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Patrick Leach is among the best tool dealers around. He makes frequent trips to Europe and buys individual tools and entire collections wherever he can find them. He sells tools without cleaning or manipulating them. If he puts on a new part, he tells you. He gives accurate and honest evaluations of the tools. His prices are fair and frequently much lower than an ebay version. Once a month he posts a list and I don't see more than a couple of tools repeated a second month out of a couple hundred. And once a month he offers a tool of the month worth anywhere up to $10,000 (10K), many out of his own collection of "the inner sanctum" like this month's:

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/febr2020list.html

Here is an in-the-box Stanley 80 scraper plane for a fair price - note, the forum does not allow more than one URL per post, so piece it together:

supertool dot com/forsale/feb/t7.jpg

For about 4 months now he has listed some of the stock he got from a "gentleman woodworker" - this last category is at the bottom. These are all tools of the very highest caliber, many unused, and most lightly used, near new. This month Included Holty, and Sauer and Steiner copies of Norton planes for thousands of dollars.

His list is a once-a-month treat I have been enjoying for years, and I have bought 3 items from him with satisfaction.

Patrick is also the guy who wrote "Blood and Gore", the definitive explanation of all of Stanley's plane offerings. He gives an assessment of function, and what to look for when buying each tool, and he is quite amusing to beat:

supertool dot com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

And he has a few tools he has made over the years - he even has a few left of a Stanley Bedrock #1 that Stanley never made, but if they did it would look exactly like this one:

supertool dot com/601.htm

I have seen this plane at an auction and it truly wonderful

Ed
Ed M
Morecowbell

Re: Cool tools

Post by Morecowbell »

Very cool - and what a long list!! Thanks for sharing
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Skarsaune

Re: Cool tools

Post by Skarsaune »

Thanks for the link - that’s quite a wormhole to fall into!