I admit it. I'm a sucker!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

I admit it. I'm a sucker!

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Okay, I'm a total tool geek, especially when it comes to planes. I especially like working miniatures. Nobody does it better than Veritas. I've had their miniature block plane for a long time and I use it almost daily.

I've been wanting the miniature router plane for a long time. Then, they recently came out with a 1/3 scale replica of their bevel up, low angle jack plane. I had to have the jack plane!

For Christmas, I got the Veritas router, jack, and edge planes, along with their miniature marking tools. They're totally cool and very usable. I have specific plans for using each of these tools.
PicsArt_01-06-09.24.33.jpg
PicsArt_01-06-09.23.49.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Re: I admit it. I'm a sucker!

Post by jread »

nice stocking stuffers! I had no idea these existed. The inlay cutter head for the router plane looks very interesting to me for standard pearl inlays instead of the dremel w/ base.

I'm getting tons more use from my basic block planes now that I can really sharpen them. Instead of taking my sides and plates out to a big drum sander, I found I could thin sides smooth and true in very small increments with my Stanley #5 and a sanding block. That was with plain mahogany. Will see if I can duplicate w/ Rosewood and some figured Mahog later this week.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Oh good grief, these are very cool. I did NOT need to know about them... :-)
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I've got the miniature block plane. It works really well. These aren't just cute miniature models; they are designed to work and be used.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

They are very collectable, but they're meant to be used. I've tested all of them and they cut nicely. I have a squirrelly piece of BRW, and the Jack plane powered right through it. I have plans for each of these planes.

If anyone is interested: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... ture-tools
PicsArt_01-06-09.48.45.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Phil

Post by Phil »

I have the mini block plane and router plane. They are so cool!
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

It should be against forum rules for people to post cool tools that we don't need, but will desire!--Bob
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

It's a disease

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:It's a disease

Ed
I think you're right Ed. Ever since I stepped into our local Woodcraft,, picked up a demo plane, then started planing a piece of wood that they had sitting there, I've been hooked.

I lost track of time and I ended up surrounded by a big pile of wood curls. I don't even remember what kind of plane it was, I just kept planing.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars