Spacing between strings

What're You Doing?
MaineGeezer

Spacing between strings

Post by MaineGeezer »

For my latest guitar I took the string widths into account and carefully figured string positions on the nut so the open gap between each string is the same, since I had the idea that doing so was "better" than simply making all the string center-to center distances the same. This results in the center-to-center distance between, say, the 6th and 5th strings being greater than the center-to-center distance between the 2nd and 1st strings.

I'm not sure I like it. I'm going to make another nut with equal center-to-center distances and see how that feels to me, but I'm curious: how do you do it?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Re: Spacing between strings

Post by tippie53 »

I do centers
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use equal center to center distance.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Rag Thumb

Post by Rag Thumb »

I use the spacing ruler from Stewmac, which I am guessing is center to center. I don't think they could compensate for different string diameters the way it works.
------------

Rex
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Rag

The SM ruler has the spaces gently wider between pairs so the space between the strings stays almost the same - not quite because of the G and B strings being wound and unwound, but close. My daughter has a shop (brooklynlutherie.com) and most of the pros she works with want the equal spaces rather than the equal spacing.

I can't tell the difference, but then again I am ham fisted and half deaf anyway

Ed Minch
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Well, I made a new nut with equal center distances, and for me it's more comfortable to play. So that's what I'll use.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've started using the Stewmac string space ruler with the slots. It's a nifty tool.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I am old school and use a caliper spacing plotted on centers. Use what works best for you .
I tried the equal space between strings and it felt awkward to me.
Think of this till you get to the base string the centers are moved farther apart on the lower string
.012 .017 .024 .032 .046 .054
that really pushes the center lines.
if you have a gap of .300 per string the centers on the first 2 are about ..314 on center the 5th and 6 are about .0350 on center

Edited post math error
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes -- when I drew equal spacing between strings for a 1-13/16" wide neck, the center distance between 6-5 came out to 0.3245" and the center distance between 2-1 was 0.2905". The difference is 0.034". One wouldn't think it would make much difference, but the difference in the way it feels to play is huge, at least for me.