Sharpening method/system - what do you like?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Morecowbell

Sharpening method/system - what do you like?

Post by Morecowbell »

Over the weekend I sharpened my chisels for the first time in a loooong time. My technique has always been freehand on a grinder and then water stone - grey grinding wheel and I think a 600 or 800 grit stone (brown) - and I've always been able to get things pretty darn sharp, or they seem so to me. Now, I know I should use a cooler cutting wheel but was wondering what else I might be missing. There's a lot of interesting things out there, like diamond stones, ceramic stones, custom guides, sharpening systems, etc. What do others use and like? I mean, there must be at least one amazing sharpening device that I can't live without!

Thanks,

C
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
MaineGeezer

Re: Sharpening method/system - what do you like?

Post by MaineGeezer »

I use a procedure based on some ideas that were posted on the Lie-Nielsen website.
1. Use a honing guide to keep a consistent angle. Don't try to do it freehand. The one I use cost about $15. L-N's is gorgeous and costs about $100.
2. Use sandpaper on a flat surface to establish your bevel angle. #80 sandpaper cuts quickly and eliminates the need for power grinding.
3. Smooth it up with finer gdits, doan to #400. At this point I switch to stones, but you could keep going with finer grifs of abrasive paper.
4. After getting down to your finest stone (I use one I found in a used tool store originally intended for straight razors) , strop the edge on some leather.

Will it shave hair off your arm? If not, try again.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I use a honing guide, never freehand. I use the Alisam Sharpening Sled, which I found recommended by "Woodworkers Journal" a couple of years ago. You can find them on Ebay. They make 3 models, depending on how thick your sharpening stones are. I own the SS1, which is $70.

For the stones, I like the Spyderco ceramic stones. I start with the medium stone, which cuts quickly, then go to the fine, then ultra fine. I don't have to worry about them being untrue, and they clean up with Bar Keepers Friend cleaner.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1617852028
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Here's the article on sharpening systems:

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/chis ... e-reviews/
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a tormek knock off from Grizzly and scary sharp system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEH-neQa9A
I agree the jig to hold the chisel at the proper angle is very important.

I have seen them used with a glass plate and sandpaper
water stones
oil stones
they are work just find your favorite
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I also use the Alisam Sharpening Sled. It is simple and effective.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Ask 10 woodworkers how they sharpen and you will get 11 answers. I have used Scary Sharp (tm) - always use the (tm) - for over 20 years, but recently got a couple of diamond stones that do a good job. I took a some classes by a windsor chair maker and he sharpened everything - drawknife, spokeshave, scorp, travisher, and plane with 150 grit paper glued to a flat stick - that was good enough for the work at hand. This taught me a lot about sharpening - don't go farther than you need to because that more extreme sharpness goes away in a hurry.

So my usual Scary Sharp (tm) schedule in 80, 120, 220, 400, starting where needed based on the condition of the edge. I use this for house carpentry and the boatbuilding I do. If I am doing anything that needs a better edge like joinery or guitars, I go farther 600, 1000, 1500, 2000. For the finer edge, I will finish with green compound on a piece of pine. Remember bevel and back are treated the same - sharp is the intersection of two polished surfaces. And touching up frequently on the finest plus the pine is easy and effective.

I don't use a guide anymore, but they are a good idea until you get used to the whole thing. I use 1/4 sheets of wet/dry paper wetted and stuck on some glass shelves from an old medicine chest that was replaced. You only need a few seconds on each grit.

I was given a medium, fine, and extra fine diamond stone - they are expensive - and then finish with 2000 SS(tm) and the strop. I think it is a little faster, but the end result is mostly the same. Everything works - it's just a matter of finding something you like and are willing to argue about.

Ed
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

for me time is the enemy I have 10 or more chisels to sharpen and with the tormek knock off and my wet stones I can sharpen a chisel in a few minutes and get back at it.
If a chisel won't shave it is just a pretty piece of metal
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John, may I'm assuming you have a water cooled tool grinder. May I ask which one? I'm up to 7 chisels now, and I can see the need for a grinder.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
carld05

Post by carld05 »

I've got a grizzly 10" (tormack knockoff). It's sitting in a large metal cookie sheet to keep the water splash off the workbench and make it easy to turn around to take advantage of the different wheel rotation directions. I then go to a sheet of plate glass (free at a local glass place) for scary sharp finish dressing.