0 Body w/ long scale?

What're You Doing?
jread

0 Body w/ long scale?

Post by jread »

Collecting opinions on whether a 14fret Martin body size 0 would work well with a long (25.4") scale. I am wanting to start a 0-14 project and got to thinking a long scale neck might be fun similar to a 90's Martin 000C-1E we have. If it were for me, I'd go 0-12 as I think that is a really sweet sound so am just wondering if extending the scale from 24.9" to 25.4" might be something someone has done to bring out more sound in the 0 body. So basically, I can be easily convinced to drop that idea and go w/ standard 0-14 specs.

thanks!
tippie53

Re: 0 Body w/ long scale?

Post by tippie53 »

of course it will
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I don't stick with the Martin specs; I mix it up. For instance, I just built an OM and regular dreadnought, both 14 fret, but both short scale 24.9". My Delilah, which started out as a 12 fret, short scale OM, ended up being a 12 fret short scale 00.

Personally, I prefer a short scale, so I'll make a short scale for my own use, no matter what the body. I'm working on what would be considered a 0 body, with a long scale. It's a 1950's guitar with a tailpiece and adjustable bridge.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
jread

Post by jread »

Cool thanks. I guess my research has been focused on traditional specs and could find no examples of this so thought I'd post hoping to avoid, "why did you do that?" later. :D
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Like Diane, I see no particular reason to make my guitars exact copies of specific Martin guitars. Martin already builds Martin guitars better than I ever will. Build your guitars the way you want them. If somebody wants a Martin, let them buy a Martin.

I think sometimes it gets a bit silly. My first guitar is an OM body shape with a 14 fret neck. I put a peghead with blind slots (they don't go all the way through) on it. One guy I showed it to got all upset because apparently Martin never put slotted peghead on a 14-fret neck, and they never had blind slots. Why should I care?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

'Why did you do that?' Because I wanted to. Next question, Mr. Bystander. We build the guitars we want to experiment with, or enjoy, not mimics of storebought instruments. I can buy all the Chinese mimics I want for an awful lot less expense than I'd go to making one.

I'm having the time of my wasted life making guitars I can't buy. There's worse things to do.

And, Mr. OP, the only opinion that matters is yours. Go to it.
peter havriluk
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

None of this should suggest that there is anything wrong with trying to duplicate, say, a 1937 Martin, either, if you are in pursuit of "that sound." Also, if it's your first guitar build, copying a proven design will give you a much greater chance of success.

The point is, do what you want.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Thanks so much. Indeed, I wasn't seeing the forest through the trees. My goals for early on are to make the Martin's I won't ever buy before I branch off into my own designs. I gave away a 1953 0-18 to a traveling guitar master friend mine and now I have to make one. Thanks for the fresh perspective.

Ps. I got the back/sides for this project from Exotic Wood Zone so thanks for the tip on the big sale going o there!