KMG Binding Jig copy

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Talladam

KMG Binding Jig copy

Post by Talladam »

Here's my copy of the KMG binding machine. I think it will work pretty well. The 'fine' adjust screw is a carriage bolt and a couple of nuts that are thread locked on. I think I would try to find a proper knob if I did this again (or maybe I'll fix it up in the future). I thought the little circle of the carriage bolt would be easy to turn. It works OK, but would be better with something you could grab onto.

The foam I chose is really squishy, but I still had to put shims under the jig so that I wouldn't have to press too hard to get the guitar to come at the bit at the right angle. If the info on the web is correct, the worst thing that happens is a too shallow channel, but I don't want to have to bear down on the guitar like crazy while routing. It seems great now though, I was just surprised by how hard it is to push the guitar down into the foam.

Two questions I'm wondering if someone has an opinion on:

1. At the moment, there is a 3/8" flat where the guitar top or back would ride. This would be the equivalent of the 'doughnut' on other jigs. Do you think I need to curve it a bit more so the flat is smaller?

2. The youtube video for the jig shows the user routing all in one direction around the body. Most people rout 'downhill' in places an effort not to chip out the grain. This would require a climb cut in parts. Since this set up is like a router table, would you do these climb cuts or avoid them for safety reasons? Seems like I would have both hands on the guitar well away from the bit, but is there an issue?

Thanks for checking it out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Re: KMG Binding Jig copy

Post by phavriluk »

This question might get some more traffic over at the 'acoustic guitar forum' which Ken moderated.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I had tried one of these and can tell you the issue is your have to watch the lean created and the geometry of the cut varies. Rout it all the way as a climb cut , if it grabs can be a disaster. So work carefully and make minor adjustments.
it can work but know the limitations and work with them.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I extended the guide above the router bit so as to help the operator keep the body parallel to the router bit. I agree that that the leaning off vertical of the body is something that needs careful watching. I also raised the height of the guide assembly as I found that I could run out of room to square the body to the router bit, evident when trying to cut a binding channel near the neck on a dreadnought body. The tool works in a 'failsafe' mode in that any operator errors result in less of a cut than is wanted, but it does take some careful watching to get the cut that is wanted.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Kens old forum was http://acousticguitarconstructionforum.com/
the acoustic guitar forum is a different forum and Ken may had been a member but wasn't involved. David Bagwell had taken it over after Ken's passing

NOTE:
I think Ken used a foam pad so you were able to press and change the angle . Like I said I had tried this design and like all of the designs before the towers they all had pluses and minuses. As long as you know where the variables are , and your aware of them you can make this work.
A simple adjustment and some attention to detail will help make the final result what you want. I found that if you set up so that you sand the sides to the binding rather than scrape the binding to the sides you will get a better end result so the reveal of the binding on the top and back look even. Also set up so that your flush to the plates. Sometimes the upper area on the back with the taper and radius will push the cutter up thinning the side reveal making the binding look thinner than the top binding.
Take your time and look close. Most of the issues of all binding machines is that area across the upper bout of the back.
One more thing , with this machine your rout cutting so use a piece of tape on the sides , make the first cut , then make your final clean up cut with the tape off. That little bit makes for a nice clean rout and the tape supports the grain to help control tear out.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

John, thanks for correcting my forum mention. I so hardly ever get confused....

And your advice about taping the edge - - - coulda' used that on a cherry body I made for my last project. Cherry likes to chip. But I have something to do on the next one. Much obliged.
peter havriluk
Talladam

Post by Talladam »

Thanks for the answers. I do have a foam pad, I'll post pics tonight. I spent a bit of time adjusting the jig height so I wouldn't have to squish the foam too much. Hopefully that will help with the angle. Sounds like I just need to be patient and pay attention.

John, just to clarify, you would climb cut most of the channel in the first go, remove the tape and do a final climb cut to finish? I was wondering if I needed to do a few passes.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

no if you are using a shaper or router table you will have to rout cut , is a climb cut gets away from you is can be devastating
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

I have used that for 3 mandolins and a guitar. Worked pretty well but I decided to get the Ibex purfling cutter for my next instrument. My plan is to scribe the lines with the cutter, route it on the table and clean up with the Ibex cutter. I'll let you know how it works out.
Ibex_Purfling_Cutter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

John, actually it is John Parchem who took over Ken Cierploskis forum. It is still going pretty well.