Rosewood Jumbo

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
rcnewcomb

Rosewood Jumbo

Post by rcnewcomb »

I started a rosewood jumbo. I'm not sure what I will use for the top. I have spruce, cedar, and redwood all on hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
tippie53

Re: Rosewood Jumbo

Post by tippie53 »

I prefer spruce on larger guitars.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Good luck! I agree with John; a spruce top would be a better choice. It will have more "headroom."

My first build was a cedar topped medium jumbo 16-1/4" lower bout with a 9-3/4" waist and mahogany back and sides. I made it about 4-3/4" deep so it has lots of bass but still sounds bright because I didn't take a lot off the bracing when it came time to go at them with the chisel.
~ Neil
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I vote for spruce as well. It'll being out the mids and trebles better in a large guitar.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

I also vote for spruce. I use mainly Lutz, Red and Euro, although I do have some Port Orford Cedar and some WRC.
I always check the cross grain stiffness. The stiffest go on large bodies and the floppier ones go on smaller bodies.
I'm going to be following this build. I haven't seen too many jumbo builds.Best of luck
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

I noticed this kit has a dovetail. My previous builds have been mortise. What should I be aware of when it comes time to fit and glue the neck to the body? I know mortice allowed me to do a bit more trial-and-error while fitting the neck with the body.
- Randall Newcomb
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

rcnewcomb wrote:I noticed this kit has a dovetail. My previous builds have been mortise. What should I be aware of when it comes time to fit and glue the neck to the body? I know mortice allowed me to do a bit more trial-and-error while fitting the neck with the body.
One thing I could suggest is to watch John's videos on getting the geometry right for the sides and top and then the videos on setting the neck. It's pretty easy after you've done it a few times -- the first one will be stressful for sure. Watching John do it will definitely help.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

A lot of what you did with the bolt on neck will apply to the dovetail. As Dan said, watch John's videos; they'll help. But, since you've done a neck, the geometry is the same no matter how it's attached. Just achieving it will be a little different.

Make sure you modify the dovetail, never the neck block. You'll notice that the dovetail seems to drop right into the neck block right now. Don't worry. It'll tighten as you start tilting it back.

As far as having to adjust the neck tilt left/right or correcting a twist, just stop, read your chalk. Think about where the wood is rubbing and how this moves the dovetail. If you take your time to picture it, it becomes easy.

I hope this makes a little sense. Don't let it intimidate you. It's just like your bolt on, except the mortise and tenon flare out so they don't need the hardware.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Got the neck and tail blocks glued in
NeckAndTailBlocks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Kerfing going on. You can never have too many clamps
- Randall Newcomb