Putting side purfling on binding strips

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Bob Gleason

Putting side purfling on binding strips

Post by Bob Gleason »

To make binding with side purfling, ideally you either glue up sheets of binding and purfling veneers and slice it off or better yet you just buy it pre-made from Gurian. I do not often have binding pieces wide enough to make sheets , or sometimes I need to make a side purfling scheme that is 1 off. I've tried many ways of gluing the purfling to the bottom of the binding strips, including using tape, various kinds of clips, holding it and super gluing it, etc. I finally made up this jig, which is working pretty good. Photos pretty much tell the tale. The closest 1/8" aluminum bar is slotted so that pressure can be applied with the edge clamps. Packing tape keeps the binding from sticking to the jig. I can make 2 binding and purfling strips at a time. The 1/4-20 knobs go into brass threaded inserts, but next time I would use T-nuts. Much cheaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Putting side purfling on binding strips

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks Bob. Great way of doing it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Bob

I have had such good success installing a bunch of pieces at once that I don't think I would bother with the step of trying to glue two of them together. The shots below are a 5 piece binding/purfling scheme, including side purfling, that I installed all at once with no problems
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

Great work. I can see making back strips the same way.
Back in the 70's, there was a company called Lewis Luthier Supply that had a lot of great info
related to building as well as price lists. Bill Lewis showed how make a lot of jigs for gluing ups
and used a propane torch to 'burn in' bees wax on the surface. I've been doing that for years
and nothing sticks.
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Bob

I have had such good success installing a bunch of pieces at once that I don't think I would bother with the step of trying to glue two of them together. The shots below are a 5 piece binding/purfling scheme, including side purfling, that I installed all at once with no problems
Seems like this is the way to do it! Beautiful work.
Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason »

That should work fine for plastic binding.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I have a question.

I've been using plastic purfling, because I'm afraid that the heat and/or moisture from bending would delaminate the purfling. Doesn't the heat un-glue the purfling from the binding when you bend the binding?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
sylvan

Post by sylvan »

Use Titebond 3 for gluing up purflings. It withstands the heat of the bender and does not delaminate.
Sylvan Wells
Wells Guitars
Bay State Guitars
http://www.wellsguitars.com
http://www.baystateguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I do the same as Sylvan, but with regular titebond and also get no delamination issues. I bend these with the sides at the same time. First couple of tries I added CA to be sure.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Okay. Thanks guys.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars