closed the box last night!

darren

closed the box last night!

Post by darren »

box-008.jpg
box-005.jpg
box-012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
darren

Re: closed the box last night!

Post by darren »

box-014.jpg
i'm sure you all are tired of seeing my spiderman blanket!

I really like this body size and working with John's mold has been MUCH better than my home-made OM one. On to the neck...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

That's the nicest spiderman blanket ever! I will never tire of seeing it.
The guitar looks great too! What is the top?
darren

Post by darren »

redwood.

it is a little splotchy from a quick coat of shellack but looked pretty nice pre-schlacking. extremely brittle though.
Darren
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looks great Darren! Sure nice to close the box isn't it. I felt like I was building a guitar after the box was closed.
Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

Amazingly it took exactly 1 month to get these bindings on and leveled... actually only took a few afternoons but it took a month to get a few free afternoons!
wedge.jpg
...again this is peruvian walnut and redwood bound in Madagascar Rosewood. I really like the mad rose. smells just like EIR, works just as easy, (maybe just a bit more splintery) with a lot more color variation.

I also built the guitar vise yesterday - it's truly one of those things that you kick yourself for not doing earlier. What a difference did it make scraping down those bindings with 2 hands instead of just one. (I basically followed the instructions from Bill's pdf, but its padded with a nice thick cabinet liner and i have a strap underneath the body as Kencierp advises) I highly recommend it!

As for binding... I used ca on the back and will probably never try it again. used lmi white on the top. the issue was that those bindings were REALLY stubborn - I hit a few sections on the top (done with lmi) with the iron to get some gaps to close up. of course that was not happening on the back. live and learn, i guess... I know it works for some of you but sure didn't work for me. so there are some thin spots on the back binding where they didn't get pulled snug enough before the ca set up - i considered routing the whole mess off but decided to leave them on as a reminder that ca and stubborn bindings don't mix. My wife has claimed this guitar as "her's" anyway. apparently the L-OO shape is 'sexy' (no-one had to tell me that though)
Darren
David L

Post by David L »

Is that end graft also Madagascar rosewood? I like the OO style also, thinking about a OO for #2.

David L
darren

Post by darren »

yup.
Darren
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

Hey Darren, looks really nice! Sorry the CA didn't work out for you. I really like CA for bindings. I got a L-00 bending mold from John as well. I resawed some koa for the back and joined the panels over the weekend. I am thinking of doing a burst on the top. I'm usually not much of a burst acoustic guy, but really leaning that way on this one. What scale length did you use? I'm going with 24.9"?

Keep us updated on this one!

Ken
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I was thinking of bursting my koa OM as well. Just a hint of red on the edges. Nothing more. I just wish I could see what it would look like before I commit.