Inside and Outside mold question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Morecowbell

Inside and Outside mold question

Post by Morecowbell »

Greetings,

About to start tackling the inside (bending) form and the outside mold for a 000 12 fret, and just wanted to ask if an allowance is made on the bending mold for the side thickness, or side/heating blanket/metal slat thickness, as the case may be? For example is the bending form about 1/8" or so smaller all around than the outside mold - or are the sides so flexible that this isn't an issue?

Thanks!

Clay
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
johnnparchem

Re: Inside and Outside mold question

Post by johnnparchem »

I would cut it out smaller than the outside mold. If I am careful cutting and plan right I can cut on the outside mode line and end up with a piece for my outside mold and a piece for my bending form. The kerf and sanding the cut smooth is about 1/8"
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Hahaha! Thanks John, hadn't thought of that - perfect!

And thanks for your Harvest Moon site, looks like a fun place to hang out for a while...
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Okay, another question on forms. I've got the outside pretty well sorted out, but for the inside bending form, what is the width of the form? I see that John sells heating blankets at 5" and 6" widths, I don't see any guitar sides wider than 5", but the stainless steel slats he sells are 6" wide. So I'm guessing the bending form is typically 6" wide? Thanks!

(oh, and in case you're wondering, unless you really like making stuff, just buy your forms :-))
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

I bought a six-inch-wide heating blanket using the reasoning that I couldn't misalign it when I used six-inch-wide slats. or not cover any part of the wood being bent.
peter havriluk