Guitar plans question

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Morecowbell

Guitar plans question

Post by Morecowbell »

I'm looking at scratch building an OOO or OM, started looking at the StewMac plans and was about to order them - when I talked to StewMac about their OOO plan I was told the bracing was based on the Collings OOO, which is played by Chris Smither, one of my music heroes - so I was sold! Until I saw a Martin OOO-28VS plan on Georgia luthier supply that looks to be more detailed, have also seen plans on LMII, etc. So was wondering if folks have preferences or if there are differences, advantages, disadvantages to various plan sources?

Thanks
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
tippie53

Re: Guitar plans question

Post by tippie53 »

DO NOT BUY GEORGIA LUTHIER PLANS Martin has been trying to shut them down.
Here is a good plan and it is free
http://www.grellier.fr/en/downloads
These are pretty close as Martin really doesn't have plans available

Here is what I can tell you. There are good plans out there. Stew mac 000 plan is ok and these plans on this link are good. Dan MacRostie has a number of plans he drew up. Antes plans have been around a long time and are way over built and not accurate to any martin.

Hope this helps. I sell bracing templates and halos that are based off pre war guitars that I have had in my hands. Martin had changed the design a few times through the years so be aware that a plan may be accurate to a time period not today's designs.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thanks John - much appreciated!
"Facts seldom sway an opinion." - John Hall
"The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference." - Van de Snepscheut
Guitarpeggio123

Post by Guitarpeggio123 »

HiJohn, I am a newbie to this forum, and am working on my second build, an OM. I saw the link to the Grellier plan and downloaded the OM plan there. But I do not know how to properly print it off to the right size. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks! Pete
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The pdf file can be downloaded to a thumb drive and taken to staples
they have large printing available.
Also call them they may be able to do it from an email pdf
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Guitarpeggio123

Post by Guitarpeggio123 »

Thanks, John! Do you if the electronic file is preset to print off actual size? I can’t tell from the pdf. I was at FedEx office the other day and noticed different size options for large printing.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I think full size
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

FYI, here's my experience with buying plans:

1: if you get hard copies of blueprints, have copies made and work from them. Consider it insurance.

2: double check any measurements against the printed outlines; depending on the printing process (laser or ink) is imprecise and there can be some distortion. Paper is like wood; it moves. More than you'd think.

3: templates (like John sells) are better references when working with the actual materials.

PS: if you even get the chance, try out John's methods for making your own templates. In a nutshell, get your hands on an example of the guitar you're looking to build; get some wax paper; lay the guitar on it; trace half the outline; then transfer it on to either a piece of plexiglass (to make a template) or on a piece of 3/4" plywood or MDF (to make a mold). For me, making the jigs is about as fun as making the guitar - plus I get my screw ups out of the way early on lol. Plexiglass and plywood are cheaper than rosewood and spruce!

Bottom line: you're never going to 100% recreate the inspiration for your project (especially if you're new to building.) It's nice to try but you can drive yourself crazy if you have even a smidge of OCD. Save that for the decorative parts of the process! Nobody else will notice what's going on "under the hood" and only the most glaring of mistakes will visually present themselves.
~ Neil
robinsonb5

Post by robinsonb5 »

nkwak wrote: 2: double check any measurements against the printed outlines; depending on the printing process (laser or ink) is imprecise and there can be some distortion. Paper is like wood; it moves. More than you'd think.
As a printer, I'll second that! With either inkjet or laser printing it pays to know the direction of travel of the paper - the printer's likely to be less accurate along that dimension than the other.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

also as a machinist tool maker plans are called ( Representational views ) what this means is the shape may be close but not 100% to scale so always use the measurements not the picture.
Prints to be accurate are drawn on plotters in industrial settings.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc