Cleaning up an old Gibson guitar

Kevin Sjostrand

Cleaning up an old Gibson guitar

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Hey Guys.
I've not been too active here lately lots of other stuff going on, but I am still alive and about ready to start my next guitar finally.
But, Sunday a friend asked me to "restore" her fathers (he just passed away age 95) guitar. I said I'd take a look at it.
Turns out is is a 1935 Gibson L-10, and my research tells me it is a transitional model with a change in the headstock and fretboard inlays being different.
They only made the L-10 model for about 6 years, and this one in this configuration apparently only in 1935.
Anyway, it is in pretty good shape for being this old, and will be playable. I told her that if she is concerned in maintaining the value of the guitar, we did not want to change anything that didn't need to be changed to make it playable
She doesn't play and wants to display it, but she wants it to be playable. I've convinced her we don't want to refinish the guitar, just clean it up, replace the tuners, new strings pretty much it. It does appear to have a more recent bridge but I'd say it pretty close to
original in style.
The one think she would like done is a repair. The back place is separating at the joint. Not a huge gap, just like the glue gave out, and it is only in the middle to lower end of the back. I'm thinking I can weep some CA in there and it will secure the separation,
but wondering if I should try a little bit of clamping pressure to bring it in tight; if there is enough flex in the sides to allow for this.

If any one has fixed an archtop guitar in this way or has some ideas I'd sure appreciate the help. I know Robbie does restorations in his shop on old guitars all the time.
I just got this guitar Sunday and only snapped this one picture of the front, but I will put on close ups of the back and there is a broken binding spot too that looks like it has been reglued with.
Not a project I was expecting, but should be fun. It is a pretty cool guitar for sure. I asked her if she wanted to sell it.....she does not!

Thanks guys

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Cleaning up an old Gibson guitar

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Can't answer the back crack question, but that is a gorgeous guitar

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

To preserve value, you certainly do NOT want to refinish it, as you have already told the owner. As for the crack...I'm not sure. The general guideline for restoration repairs is to do only things that are reversible, and CA glue is not very reversible.
I would guess that the preferred fix would be with hot hide glue.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kevin, have you tried hydrating the guitar, to see if this space will close? If so, you can close it without any type of clamping, then put ca glue over the joint, wiping away excess on the outside.

If you have a room with a humidifier where you can store it temporarily, that would be ideal. If not, put it in a trash bag, enclosed with a closed plastic container, with holes, containing a damp sponge. Check it daily. Chances are the edges will meet.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com