1st question, side prep

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
jread

1st question, side prep

Post by jread »

Hello,

My 1st kit (Blues Creek, D18 style) is coming along nicely but I have a 1st question. Great forum, btw!

My blocks are glued and rim roughly sanded flat. Next step is to glue in cloth side strips and lining but as I look as my sanded mahogany sides, I see they are much lighter in color than insides of finished guitars. My goal is old style D18 so wondering if I should sand sides only then glue in strips/lining or perhaps more prep is needed?

Maybe the guitars I've looked at had varnish applied inside or age darkens the sides but just wanted to check in. I'm not concerned about final color but just not seeming like this will match what I see in other guitars.

thanks.
jread

Re: 1st question, side prep

Post by jread »

Overthinking. Seems ready to go.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

martin never finished the inside that is just age. Sounds like you got the beginning down. Just feel free to keep asking questions and dont be afraid to post pics
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
jread

Post by jread »

Ok, got thru a few actual gluing steps. Looking good to me. The strips could be a little more evenly placed but oh well. Time to setup the bus. :D . ( no, back is not glued on. ha )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

back braces?
peter havriluk
jread

Post by jread »

Ha. Back not glued on. Just gazing at the beautiful grain. Next up: gluing braces.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Your side struts look very nice.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Wow, nice clean work!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

looks very nice and neat good work
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

When you get it all glued, you may want to apply a coat of shellac to the inside to seal it and (in theory) make it less susceptible to changes in humidity.

If you decide to do that, assuming you glue the back on first, a problem arises when you want to seal the inside of the top. You can't get at it after it's glued on, so you have to put on the shellac before you glue the top on. BUT DON'T APPLY SHELLAC AT THE EDGE WHERE THE GLUE JOINT IS GOING TO BE. Leave a bare strip around the edge for the glue joint.

Since you'll need to allow a bit of extra space to ensure you don;'t get shellac on the glue area, the sealing of the top will have a bit of a gap around the edge, but it's the best you can do.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion