Martin Factory Tour

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
rcnewcomb

Martin Factory Tour

Post by rcnewcomb »

A friend and I are considering taking a trip to Nazareth, PA to do the Martin Factory tour. We will be flying into Philadelphia. Any suggestions regarding either the Martin tour or sites to see in Philly?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Danl8

Re: Martin Factory Tour

Post by Danl8 »

There is a general tour that runs every hour, first come first served. Martin also has a private tour that can be booked which is more in depth (highly recommended). A call to the front desk might be helpful. The greeting staff can give you a heads up on the process. Check the website for days that the tours are closed, etc. Allow enough time to spend an hour in the museum, too. In Philly there are a few stores that sell vintage instruments which might be interesting. Non-guitar attractions are many, including the new museum of the American Revolution. Easy to burn 2 days in Philly if you are just doing a general tour. BTW, still cameras are permitted on the tour.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

Get there early and hang out in the back room of the gift shop to try out the guitars hanging on the wall in there. After you’re done swing by the old factory down the street and if you’re into building pick up some parts from the Guitar Makers Connection.
~ Neil
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

The 'behind the 'scenes' tour can be quite a treat, depending on the experience and knowledge of the guide. I took that tour in 2016 and the guide was ignorant. I felt cheated. But I had a half-hour going through the museum with Dick Boak, and that made the day really worthwhile.
peter havriluk
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

don't forget to check out the museum and the old factory on north street.
the behind the scenes tour is worth the $20

lots to see if you ask see if Michael Dickinson is giving a tour that day you will find he is one of the best guides ask for him if you take a behind the scenes tour.. Tell him you know me
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Thanks all!
- Randall Newcomb
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Had a great day in Nazareth. I'm glad to see where they are using automation, and where to still use human skills.

Chris Martin was taking a journalist through the museum so we tagged along to listen in. He had some great stories.

I picked up a few bridges, fingerboards, and headplate veneers at the Guitar Maker's Connection shop.

Thanks to all for your recommendations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Wow, sounds like you had a great time. Your timing was very lucky with Chris Martin.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com