1st form and off I go.

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
jread

1st form and off I go.

Post by jread »

The idea was to fix up my old Stella Harmony guitar THEN order a kit. But Blues Creek Guitars had a sweet D18, 12-fret I could not pass up so starting up both at once giving me the old beater to practice on along the way. I ordered the kit along with their form as mine isn't quite perfect. Not bad and the sides seem to stand up straight. The turnbuckles were fun to make on the bandsaw.

Next step is to remove the top, braces, and clean the lining. I'm tempted to remove it and re-glue it. I could probably repair this top but my mind is made up to replace it and the back with Birch which John Hall is gluing up for me as well.

Just thought I'd post. I'll update down the line.

Great forum. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: 1st form and off I go.

Post by tippie53 »

your wood got here and will be gluing this week
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

It looks great.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Just be sure you will be able to get that big turnbuckle out through the soundhole after you glue on the back!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Yes, what mainegeezer just said!. I think you'll find that you can remove the upper and lower bout spreaders now.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
jread

Post by jread »

yep! Thanks! That pic is actually the original top that I removed which I why I went the route of making a form. I feel a lil guilty for not trying to repair this top but it's not that nice and found some nice Birch replacements. The hole is only 3.5" so yeah, going to be taking those blocks out before sealing it up.

I was able to steam the braces off. They appear to be cedar or similar. This guitar will have a floating bridge so not sure if I need to put the bridge plate back in. You can see how it the bridge pin holes were filled in. I prob will just to try to keep the bracing in the original configuration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Don't feel guilty. This is a great project guitar and you can learn a lot from her.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You can certainly shave down the braces, quite a bit. I did a similar exercise on a Harmony Sovereign (See viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8319&hilit=harmony+sovereign ). The braces in original form were akin to 2x4s.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
jread

Post by jread »

Ooh. thank for that. I'll post an update when some more things happen.