Kit guitar

Talk About Anything Here, Anything At All
ruby@magpage.com

Kit guitar

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

A friend just sent me this

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Danl8

Re: Kit guitar

Post by Danl8 »

LOL, I like it!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Hahaha! Excellent!
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I did that once Red oak guitar.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

I made one too - this is a piece of ash from a friend's farm in West Virginia. I made top, back, sides, and neck out of it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

My cousin picks up firewood from where the town dumps trees it has taken down . I've asked him to be on the lookout for a likely looking billet of spruce . Maybe I'll expand that to include some hardwood as well..
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have used Blue Spruce and what we call Black spruce that I think is a hybrid. I have used Poplar , Cherry , Walnut and Catalpa . I have used Walnut and Poplar for necks as well as maple and cherry. I like Maple the best for neck.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer wrote:My cousin picks up firewood from where the town dumps trees it has taken down . I've asked him to be on the lookout for a likely looking billet of spruce . Maybe I'll expand that to include some hardwood as well..
Town dumps seem to be a good source. Another place to check out hardwoods is the local sugar bush. Some of the best fiddleback figured maple I have comes from trees culled from the maple syrup farms. Another wood to consider is boxwood where the overgrown hedges can sometimes give up pieces big enuf for instruments.
ruby@magpage.com

My uncle used to get free the trees the utility cut down. Maybe following one of their trucks with a chain saw would yield some good stuff.

Dan - I have never seen boxwood big enough for a guitar body - it is one of my favorite woods and I have plenty cut from neighbor's yards, but never seen anything bigger than a bridge or maybe some binding. I have plenty of tool handles and little implements made from itv- it is a dream to turn on a lathe. A few years ago I saw a blank big enough for a neck and I lusted, but it was something like $400. Do you have a source?

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Dan - I have never seen boxwood big enough for a guitar body - it is one of my favorite woods and I have plenty cut from neighbor's yards, but never seen anything bigger than a bridge or maybe some binding. I have plenty of tool handles and little implements made from itv- it is a dream to turn on a lathe. A few years ago I saw a blank big enough for a neck and I lusted, but it was something like $400. Do you have a source?

Ed
No source for boxwood other than neighbors pulling out overgrowth. I think it would be exceptionally rare to find it in sufficient size for a parlor guitar. I've seen it big enough for a neck (laminated like a classical), but currently only sizes I have are good for a soprano uke, pegs & bridges, etc. I like working it tho.Very traditional for lute bridges.