Mixing and Match Dyes Next to Each Other

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Kbore

Mixing and Match Dyes Next to Each Other

Post by Kbore »

I’m envisioning the mahogany neck with a very subtle burst similar to a violin neck (or a Gibson J-45), where the ends of the neck are dark mahogany red/brown fading into an oval of subtle golden mahogany in the center of the back of the neck. I know the Gibson does not have a golden feature in the center oval that is the back of the neck... but some violins do.

A couple of related wood dye questions that are troubling me:

Can a StewMac ColorTone liquid dye be used next to TransTint (powder) dye on the same piece?

I feel like little Johnny asking this but WTH, could a TransTint power dye mixed with water be used next to (or on top of) a TransTint powder dye mixed with alcohol?

Does the diluent (water or alcohol) have any effect on bleeding (or blending) into an adjacent color or into the vinyl sealer / nitro laid down on top of it?

I guess I have all winter to answer those questions/ figure it out. I do like the sharing aspect of the forum though.

Maybe should I break down these 3 questions into three threads? So many questions, so few birthdays left....
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Mixing and Match Dyes Next to Each Other

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I can only talk about the Transtint and also the powdered Keda aniline dyes, which are like the Transtint, but lots cheaper. I like the Keda dyes. I've used them with water and alcohol. The alcohol dries too fast as far as I'm concerned, esp. if you're bursting. I mix the dyes in hot water from the tap.

Make sure they're thoroughly dry, and there is no running from Nitro, or french polishing.

I have the liquid Transtint and it's a wonderful aniline dye. But whether it's worth $20+ per color, is questionable. However, transtint did have the coral color I needed to dye the purfling on my 140 year old parlor guitar, with a perfect match. It was the dry form and it mixed just like the Keda.

I've read that some woodworkers use clothing dye, which comes in hundreds of colors. I've not tried it, so I don't know how it works for guitars.

Here is the Keda dye. You can get larger packs Wood Dye - Aniline Dye 5 Color Kit - Wo ... .BbY8DFXWW
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com