Yellow Cedar L-1

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Yellow Cedar L-1

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

1) Using a saw with a fine blade - a little less then.012" - I cut all of the slots down to just shy of the mark

2) Using my nut files I enlarge each of the slots to fit my light gauge string preference.

3) Lastly, I angle each nut file about 15° towards the head and file about 1/2 way down each slot to help point the string towards the pegs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) I make sure that strings don't bind in the slots

2) Once everything is the way I like it, I use a file to remove extra height, to round the back and the ends, then sand with 220 and 600 grit paper, then use a fingernail buffer to polish the bone. All done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

Taking way too long!!

I had trouble with witness lines. I don't have power buffing tools, and by hand I have not been able to get them to look acceptable. So my solution is to:

1) go over the whole thing with 1500 wet/dry til it is leveled - not difficult since I had leveled just a couple of coats previously

2) then carefully apply a coat at just the right thickness to cover but not to allow any surface defects. Not too bad - check how the bridge reflects in the side

3) next step, bridge installation. Put it in place with two 3/16" bolts through the positioning holes I drilled earlier, put tape around right close to the edges, then cut through just the finish with a razor blade
Last edited by ruby@magpage.com on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) remove the bridge and use a sharp chisel to scrape the finish off the area inside of the razor line. A quick scuff with 220 grit and it's ready for glue

2) dress rehearsal. I am using a bridge clamp I made, and 2 cheap 5" throat c-clamps from Horror Freight - about the only thing they are good for

3) glue it down pull the tape, and clean up the glue
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) install the tuning machines - interesting to see the pale yellow color of this neck

2) the replacement ebony buttons look great

Tomorrow all I have to do is bolt on the neck, and drill, ream, countersink and slot the pin holes. Then I can string it up!!
Ed M
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

She is looking real pretty Ed. I am expecting to hear a very bright but sweet sound from this guitar!!!
Did you see my PM from yesterday?

Kevin
ruby@magpage.com

Thanks Kevin

Just sent a note

Ed
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Ream the bridge peg holes most of the way

2) Slot the bridge. These are 2 saber saw blades - a narrow one and a wider one, each cutting 3 slots. The handles are from my neighbor's boxwood and I angled them so I can be right above the work watching to make sure the blade is plumb
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

1) Small countersink at each hole, then ream to get the unslotted pegs all even, then string her up

2) I'll take some beauty shots shortly, and my daughter is coming this weekend so I can get a video of her playing it. The sound is not balanced yet, but the trebles sound like my real Martin rosewood 000, and it has as much sustain as that guitar

That's it - thanks for looking. When I get the shots and the video I will post them in "show it off"

Ed
Ed M