1st Acoustic Kit Build

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
joseph d

Re: 1st Acoustic Kit Build

Post by joseph d »

Well OK - I guess I misunderstood the video. The 25-1/2" is to center of saddle at the high E....I was pulling 25-1/2" to the center of the bridge or between the D and G strings. The bridge squares up much better with that lay-out...imagine that.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I think that should be 25.4 + 0.1" compensation over the first string and 25.625" over the sixth string. I measure nut to front edge of the saddle (gives a pinch of room for eventual rolling forward moment). Basically it is 2 x distance from nut to 12 fret crown plus 0.10" compensation over the e' and adding another 0.125" over the e sixth string. So far for eleven instruments I'm getting near perfect intonation, maybe someone can let me know if I have it wrong.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks Danl8! I need to get a ruler in decimal, all I have right now is imperial making for a tiny bit of fudging the number. I really appreciate the info!
Doesn't 0.625 equal 5/8" pretty close?
So 25.4 + 0.1 = 25.5" (or 25-1/2")
Then 25.5 + 0.125 = 25.625 (or 25-5/8")...I hope so cause I'm already going with it :)
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Okay, using imperial measurement, This is how you place your saddle.

25 1/2", (25.4" scale length + 1/10" for compensation), from the fretboard side of the nut, to the center of the saddle slot, following the line of string 1.

Add 1/8" to that measurement, which makes it 25 5/8" (including the 1/10" for compensation), from 0 fret (nut) to the center of the saddle slot, following the string line for string 6.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Yes that is what I used. Not sure how I missed that in the video. Watched it again and it was plainly stated.
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Well got the guitar strung up finally. This Blues Creek Kit was awesome and the only problems with it were my mistakes. Tried hot hide glue for the 1st time and that was a little bit of a learning curve...glued the neck in and it set up on me before I had it clamped. Learned how to pull an acoustic neck and reset it..put a few little scratchs pulling it off but not bad for my 1st go at pulling a neck if I say so myself.
Ended up with the string height at 4/64th on the high E and 6/64th on the low E. I'm going to put a bit more relief in the neck so I'll see how that ends up.
All in all in was a great learning experience and I'm toying with doing another kit before building one from scratch. I've got some family issues going on and time seems to be real scarce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by joseph d on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Dang, that's nice. Finish as well as overall guitar looks great! Good luck on the next one...
joseph d

Post by joseph d »

Thanks Danl8.
jabbiati

Post by jabbiati »

Looks great! I appreciate your attitude about looking at mistakes as chances to learn more skills (i.e. repair skills)... I'm trying to do that, too! Helps keep the depression at bay.

Great job.
"Not all who wander are lost..."
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Dan

John at Blues Creek will work with you however you want him to. He has sent me a partial kit bent sides and a neck, he has twice bent sides that I sent him, and he will sell you any supplies you need at very reasonable prices. I did not go completely scratch until #5 where I did everything. Now just stringing up #8 and gaining confidence in every step with each one.

By the way, nice looking guitar - how does it sound?

Ed
It's not a mistake unless you can't fix it
Ed M