fret re-install

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

fret re-install

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Fretted a board and had a half dozen that were not well seated. Took them all out, leveled the board again, and checked the slots, and am ready to re-install. Before I took them out, I filed the ends even with the binding on this bound board, then bevelled just a touch.

Is there a good way to get these frets back into their slots so I don't end up with a short and and a long end?

Thanks

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Re: fret re-install

Post by MaineGeezer »

Not that I know of, although there may be some clever way of doing it.

If 'twere me I would probably seat a fret about halfway, then tap it left or right with a small hammer or similar to get it as close to aligned as I could, then seat it the rest of the way and hope for the best. There is likely to still be a tiny amount of error, but you may able to shift it even after it is fully seated by using a brass punch on the end.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
ruby@magpage.com

I have read about some who cut the fret lengths and round the ends before installing them - no idea how that is done. My thought is to move all the frets up one to a slightly shorter slot, then make one new one for #19

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

ruby@magpage.com wrote: My thought is to move all the frets up one to a slightly shorter slot, then make one new one for #19

Ed
That sounds like an excellent idea!
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

reusing frets isn't advisable.
Here is my technique
A level the fret board
B chamfer the fret slots to avoid tear out and chipping
C spray with water and allow a few minutes to penetrate end grain
D use glue Tite bond is perfects as it acts like a lube for the barbs and will fill better than hide or fish
E allow about 5 hr before level
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
bftobin

Post by bftobin »

IIRC ;hemi-spherical (?) rounds the ends of the frets so the whole fret is available.
They're not beveled on the ends. It's a fair bit of extra work, but it does look good
Brent
ruby@magpage.com

Brent

I did the hemispherical ends for the first couple of instruments, then I saw a 1960's Brazillion Rosewood 000-28 in my daughter's shop that had a slightly rounded steeper bevel at the ends and I thought it played nicely, so I have been doing that.

By the way, about the most beautiful BRW I have ever seen, and extremely rich in sound

That's my grandson next to it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
ruby@magpage.com

My daughter recommended medium density CA and that is what I am using. Her observation is that it is pressure that kicks the glue, so it will sit in liquid state in the slot until you install in the fret. I use a polished cobbler's hammer and they are seating very nicely but I have been clamping a curved caul on them for a couple of hours TO BE SURE, even though she suggested 5 minutes would be enough. I have found that, like someone suggested, before they are all the way seated I can tap an end to move it over - they are all very very close to centered.

Thanks all - It's only a mistake if you can't fix it

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I level the board and chamfer the slots, then install new fretwire. I put a thin line of cold hide glue and wet my finger to work it into the slot. I install the new fretwire. The glue lubricates the slot, and the glue fills it. I recently started using a fretting caul to set the frets.

I usually wait until the next day to level the frets.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com