Starting up my build again

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Michael Haines

Starting up my build again

Post by Michael Haines »

I purchased a Martin OOO kit from John almost three years ago. I got it to the point where I was so close to closing the box and had to shelve the kit until now. I just unboxed everything in my new shop to take inventory and make sure nothing got lost or damaged and noticed the neck is twisted. Is this something I can save or should I get a new one. This is my first build and would rather err on the side of caution. Thanks Mike
Diane Kauffmds

Re: Starting up my build again

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Michael Haines wrote:I purchased a Martin OOO kit from John almost three years ago. I got it to the point where I was so close to closing the box and had to shelve the kit until now. I just unboxed everything in my new shop to take inventory and make sure nothing got lost or damaged and noticed the neck is twisted. Is this something I can save or should I get a new one. This is my first build and would rather err on the side of caution. Thanks Mike
Hi mike,

Can you post some photos please?
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Yes, pictures and more details, please. My initial reaction, though, is that it is probably fixable.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

see the attached picture I laid 2 squares across the neck one at either end the far one has blue tape on it to allow contrast. Thanks for the feed back Mike Haines
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that should sand out but send it back I can get it replaced
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

Thanks John. I will mail it back to you this Weekend. Thanks again

Mike Haines
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Replacement is probably the best solution; you won't have to worry about it fixing it, then having it revert to its original straightness some time in the future. It probably wouldn't, but who knows.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Michael Haines

Post by Michael Haines »

Got my new neck from John last week, new neck looks Great Thanks again John. Here are a few pics of my progress the past few weeks. I currently have the body done with the binding, not sure if i will remove it and try again there are some gaps. Mike Haines
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

My experience is that if I KNOW I made a mistake, I won't be happy until I do it over.

Ed
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I've had trouble with gaps in wooden binding. Usually you can unglue the binding pretty easily at this stage.

I've started using 3/4" twill tape, which you can buy at a fabric store. After gluing the binding, I wrap the guitar tightly with the twill, starting in the waist area. I don't do it as neatly as some people do, but it works for me. No more gaps. Here's a good video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKBr4a7qK0
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com