Best glue for torrified top and more

What're You Doing?
dscheckman

Best glue for torrified top and more

Post by dscheckman »

I’m getting mixed messages on the best glue to use for torrified tops. Some say titebond, some fish glue. What works the best? There’s fairly consistent advice to leave glueups clamped a longer time. I’ve also seen some discussion about top thickness. Should torrified tops be a little thicker? Any starting point recommendations?
Thanks,
David
tippie53

Re: Best glue for torrified top and more

Post by tippie53 »

I have been using torrified for a few years and used Hot hide, fish and titebond . My first joint failed and that was from not clamping long enough.
I keep it clamp for minimum of 12hr. As for thickness I do .110 and have no issues with it. I can tell you that DO NOT USE SCRAPPERS as it chips out .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
dscheckman

Post by dscheckman »

Thanks. The torrified red spruce I have seems to hand plane well. I’ll stay away from using scrapers. Of the glues you mentioned, do you favor one over the other? Any benefits of each?

Thanks again,
David
dscheckman

Post by dscheckman »

Thanks, I’ll stay away from the scraper. I did a little test planing and had no issues, planned nicely. How about bracing profiles with torrefied bracing, any changes from normal procedures? Of the glues you mentioned do you have a favorite? For any particular reason?
David
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

no need to change anything on the torrified wood . I use the same patterns on torrfied as the raw wood. The torrification process is to simulate old wood . I just follow the longer glue set times. That is all I do. I like the hide glue the best but nothing wrong with tite bond
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
TXFlatSix

Post by TXFlatSix »

I glued up a torrified top for the first time (build #4) and was surprised to find that it had lifted in one spot. I used tite bond and only had it clamped for about 3 hours. I know, I know, ...should have clamped it longer. But funny thing was I was using my new OM/OOO mold from Blues Creek and closed the box without any thought as to whether the spreader will come out thru the soundhole! So I was anxious so I removed the clamps to see if it would come out. (my method includes a rubber band clamping all around which covers the soundhole) Of course the spreader came out and all was good until I noticed a few hours later that a spot near the lower bout about an inch and a half had not glued tight (or had unglued). Yikes! Never happened before. Granted I usually keep the glue-up clamped overnight.

I was little worried about fixing it. I used a scalpel to scrape in the joint then worked some new tite bond into the joint and clamped it with three clamps for about 24 hours.

Hope it holds.

Dave
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

it should be fine
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc