Closing the Box Upside-Down with Go Bars?

What're You Doing?
Meng1988

Closing the Box Upside-Down with Go Bars?

Post by Meng1988 »

Getting ready to close the box and wondering if anyone has done it “upside-down” with Go-Bars? Place the top on a dish in the deck, then the sides on top. Then clamp the sides down onto the top.

Could even put the other dish on top and use that as a giant caul.

Would that work? Anyone done it that way?
Danl8

Re: Closing the Box Upside-Down with Go Bars?

Post by Danl8 »

Could work, but having it above permits better access and vision to the glue joint and it's easier to wipe up glue squeeze out on the sides. In my case, the 15' dish is the caul, when doing the top, and, vice versa for the back (28').
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Seems like using a dish as a caul would not give even pressure - the dish is too stiff and would bridge over small areas that needed more local pressure. The caul I use is a guitar shaped donut of 1/4" plywood - the center is out to allow the needed flexibility around the edges without putting any pressure on the dome in the center.

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

ruby@magpage.com wrote:Seems like using a dish as a caul would not give even pressure - the dish is too stiff and would bridge over small areas that needed more local pressure. The caul I use is a guitar shaped donut of 1/4" plywood - the center is out to allow the needed flexibility around the edges without putting any pressure on the dome in the center.

Ed
Didn't even think about that; Ed is right -- the dish as a gluing caul really isn't a good idea. I do exactly what John describes below (I paid attention in class, John). :-)
Last edited by Danl8 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

there is a point you have to consider. Once you brace the top the radius of the dish may not be what the top radius actually is here is how I do it on the Go Bar deck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8qAvQ5ExSE
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Meng1988

Post by Meng1988 »

This all makes sense. Was just curious why I never see it the other way. Now I get it.

John, doesn't adding the foam take away some of the clamping pressure because the clamps (or caul in this case) just squishes the foam instead of pushing the wood underneath it?
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Another reason not to use the dish as a caul - if you glue with the plate in the dish and put the rim on top of it, you stand a chance of glue dripping onto the sandpaper of the dish and ruining it. I learned this the hard way when I used my fretboard radius beam to clamp MOTS onto a fingerboard and the glue crept onto the beam. Thanks goodness for naptha

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I used radius dishes top and bottom when I glued my 3rd guitar. Seemed to work okay. I did take precautions. I msde sure the edges were propefly sanded to the rsdius and I got full contact all around. I put waxed paper on the bottom disk to protect against drips. I had the edge I was gluing on top. After gluing the top, I turned it over so the back was on top and checked for full contsct with the back's radius dish beforegluing.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

the foam actually helps to apply even pressure and it is protective to the top in case a go bar gets away from you.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Meng1988

Post by Meng1988 »

Ok. So trying to get this step done without having to buy anything. Tell me if this seems like it is a good plan.

I have a bunch of floor foam from costco (the kind that are like a puzzle and go together. So I would place one of those on top of the top. I do not have any large piece of wood to cut a caul the shape of the guitar, but have a ton of small pieces of scrap. I would put those all around the rim on top of the foam, being sure to position it directly above the gluing surface. Then go-bar it down.