Aqua Coat For Pore Filling Questions

The Achilles' Heel of Luthiery
Gibsonman

Aqua Coat For Pore Filling Questions

Post by Gibsonman »

Thinking down the road of doing a D-18 Kit. and using Aqua Coat for pore filling. Mahogany Back and side and Spruce top.
My question should I use the Aqua Coat on the spruce or just on the Mahogany?
Also does anyone think using the Aqua Coat will have any affect on the sound of the guitar?
Is Aqua Coat a good choice for this project?
Thanks in advance.
johnnparchem

Re: Aqua Coat For Pore Filling Questions

Post by johnnparchem »

Spruce does not need to be pore filled so the mahogany possibly your headstock veneer. It will not have a real effect on the sound. What finish are you using?
I have used Aqua Coat with some water based lacquers it is easy to work with. There are bunches of pore fill options, a black pore o pac might look cool with the mahogany. I generally use epoxy.
Gibsonman

Post by Gibsonman »

Tru Oil
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Gibsonman wrote:Tru Oil
I have not tried the combo. If you have some scrap give it a try first.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

I've used Aqua Coat and Tru Oil -- worked ok for me. Also have used Tru Oil and fine w/d sandpaper which works ok. This raises a slurry that fills pores.
saltytri

Post by saltytri »

Danl8 wrote:I've used Aqua Coat and Tru Oil -- worked ok for me. Also have used Tru Oil and fine w/d sandpaper which works ok. This raises a slurry that fills pores.
This works very well, especially if the TO is cut about 50% with mineral spirits. If this makes you worry about too much penetration into the wood on a top, start by wiping on a coat or two of full strength TO. Let that dry and then begin wet sanding.