fret slotting cross-cut sled -pin location

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
ChuckBarnett

fret slotting cross-cut sled -pin location

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Newbie...

In preparing a fret slotting crosscut sled, I don't know how to determine where to put the registration pin for the template. As I understand the process, you tape the template onto the fretboard and register the template and fretboard against that pin, cut a slot and then move to the next position. How do you know where to install that pin?

Thanks for your help! :)
tippie53

Re: fret slotting cross-cut sled -pin location

Post by tippie53 »

figure you want about 1/8 in of trim to the zero fret or nut location it is that simple don't over think it. I like to start at the nut so set up so you do the nut and that way you can do 18 to 22 frets
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

tippie53 wrote:figure you want about 1/8 in of trim to the zero fret or nut location it is that simple don't over think it. I like to start at the nut so set up so you do the nut and that way you can do 18 to 22 frets
I HATE being this ignorant!

John, first thank you for taking the time...

I don't know what you mean by about 1/8" of trim to the ...nut location? the nut should be at the very end of the fretboard, right? What trim? So the precision required to get the first fret in the exact spot is beyond me.

Feeling foolish here...
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

you want to make a slot so you know the position is true . To assume the end would be perfect isn't always so.
I have mine set up so the nut position is the first slot. Then I cut the rest. Also what is your process plan?
radius the board then slot ?
I slot first then I radius. I have a very good table saw and I true my blanks. Then I true the faces. Once they are square and true ( I will thickness them to about .280) I then slot them. Once slotted I then radius them. Then I will put my tape , that means the nut and 12th fret widths. Once I am happy I then trim the board to length and that included trimming off the 1st slot .
Even when you but fret boards they will come and need to be trimmed. The slotting saw isn't a cutoff blade and it doesn't often cut clean as the blade has a minimum tooth set
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Strikes me that it doesn't really matter where the pin is because it is all relative - including the nut location. Anywhere hear the slot location would be fine.

Ed
Ed M
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Chuck,

You are making this too hard. Most commercial templates the first index is for the nut or the zero slot. Attach the fret board to your template in front of the zero slot index maybe by an inch or more for convenience. Lay the assembly (fretboard and template) in your sled so where you want the nut is lined up with the saw blade. Then mark the first index slot. That is where you put your pin.

John's suggestion of an extra 1/8" basically removes the need to be precise when attaching the fret board to the template. You put it on close, your first cut will be the nut. It is easy to use the zero fret slot to finish cutting the nut later.
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

20180523_065836.jpg
Once I finally caught on that the nut end of the fretboard has nothing to do with the location of the pin in the crosscut sled, I was able to move ahead. Once I figured out that you are going to cut the fretboard off at that first slot (which I finally understood to be the nut slot), i understood that you could put that pin anywhere so long as you leave a quarter of an inch or so beyond where the blade would cut that nut slot. So I set the pin up about a half an inch to the right of the saw's path. I feel that my natural inclination puts the nut end to my left facing the saw. I cut 19 fret slots per the LMI plan. And I am pleased!

Thank you, all, for your patience with me. Seems like everything along this journey looms very challenging. But looking back on it I see that it isn't rocket surgery. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

nice
we are always here to help
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc