Decorative Wood Burning

Questions and answers for beginners. If you have a question, so do most other people.
Meng1988

Decorative Wood Burning

Post by Meng1988 »

My wife is an artist and wanted to do some wood burning somewhere on the guitar.

Has anyone done this?

Are there any concerns? ie would it weaken the wood? would it make finishing the guitar more challenging?
ruby@magpage.com

Re: Decorative Wood Burning

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Here is something I have wanted to do - it is done with ink but I have thought about doing it with woodburning. The lines are so thin and shallow I don't think it would do any sonic or structural harm - especially it you left off the purfling. These are traditional decorations on a Hardanger Fiddle - a Scandanavian instrument that has 4-6 drone strings under the fretted strings. Many of the Larson instruments of a hundred years ago had tops asa thick .13 to .15, so you could make an instrument with a thicker top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

striking
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
rcnewcomb

Post by rcnewcomb »

Martin had some laser etching on the LX1E Ed Sheeran model.
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 3.19.27 PM.png
Luna has various models that are laser etched.
Luna.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I can't think of any adverse effect that wood burning would cause, especially in the upper bout. The only thing I can think of is the soundhole.

If you decide to burn a decoration around the soundhole, inlieu of using a rosette, I would forgo the usual soundhole bracing used on steel string guitars, for the type of bracing used on many classical guitars. The soundhole is completely supported on classical guitars. I hate to use the word "laminated", but for want of a better word, this is what I would do around the soundhole, if you decide to burn decorate.

The photo is just a sample.
p_soundb15.jpg
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

The heel is also a candidate for decoration. Here is a photo of a carved heel, but I don't see why one couldn't burn a design just as well.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion