Oops - Missed the mark

What're You Doing?
twenty2late

Oops - Missed the mark

Post by twenty2late »

So...I went to adjust the neck on the current build, and realized that somehow, between making the neck block and drilling the hole in the shoulder brace...that I missed big time! Now I can't get my truss rod wrench through :-/

I assume I'm not the first to do this? How do you all recommend I proceed? I imagine I will need to find a short, right-angle drill attachment or something? Thanks. Gotta love these sneaky lessons learned.

V/R
Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twenty2late

Re: Oops - Missed the mark

Post by twenty2late »

For reference...the bottom is the shoulder brace, the middle is the sound board, and the top is the fretboard extention. And...the wood cutting the hole in half is the neck block. I feel like a total bonehead right now!
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Would plugging the hole and re-drilling solve the problem? Alternatively enlarging the hole towards the soundboard to line up properly and then plugging the unnecessary part of the hole. Or rat-tail filing to where it needs to be and sistering the brace to correct for structural weakening. Interesting problem, though, and a fix of whatever sort shouldn't be all that hard.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

From your description I don' t this is applicable, but on the off chance that it might help, a reminder that hex keys can be bent to avoid obstacles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

The gap isn't wide enough to get a wrench through. I think I'll either need to find a short right-angle drill, or remove the neck and widen the gap from an easier angle. Which won't be a horrible idea since the frets aren't even on and I'd like to learn that too! Luckily, this is my guitar and not for someone else. Lesson learned....always look through before you glue. Seems so obvious now :-/
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I always check to see that I can access the truss rod before gluing the neck
I am sure you will be doing the same from now on
best of luck
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
twenty2late

Post by twenty2late »

Whew! Crisis averted. I was able to use a rat tail file to open up the hole in the shoulder brace very slightly and to put a slight ramp in the neck block channel. Now...the truss rod wrench is perfectly directed to the truss rod! Thanks for all the help...again!

V/R
Ken
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

You can tell people you planned it that way. <grin>
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

You could even call it an internal sound port. Glad to hear you were able to fix it!
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Live and learn. I'm glad you were able to gain access.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com