My first use of System 3 silvertip epoxy for a pore fill.

What're You Doing?
tippie53

Re: My first use of System 3 silvertip epoxy for a pore fill

Post by tippie53 »

nice
looks good can you post some close ups I may have to try this. what finish is on top?
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

tippie53 wrote:nice
looks good can you post some close ups I may have to try this. what finish is on top?
Here is a close up pictures, the light and dark are reflections. There is no top coat yet this is the pore fill and a few wipes of 2 lb shellac I applied as a sealer.
pore fill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Well, that looks really good to me. The low viscosity seems to make it easier than zpox and i like the card idea -- brilliant. I'm using aquacoat on my current two, but i think I'll get some silvertip for the next one. Do you get it from their website?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

johnnparchem wrote:Diane, I have used aquacoat. It is a lot easier to apply and sand off. I have yet to be happy with it though as I never seem to get rid of the pores. System 3 is a two part epoxy that chemically cures rather than off gasses. There is not much smell. I mix 10-20 grams at a time. It is epoxy so there is some volatiles.
Thanks for the info. I like Aquacoat too, but like you, I've found you have to apply several coats to really fill the pores. I used ca glue one time and it did a wonderful job of pore filling, but I can't stand the vapors. I've used 2 part Gorilla epoxy with the 20 minute open time, to fill the holes in figured cherry. It did a great job, but of course cherry doesn't need pore filling, so I've not used epoxy yet for pores.

I'm going to vive System 3 a try, with the rosewood guitars.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

John, I'm going to pick your brain some more.

I've read that System 3 has to be mixed in precise amounts, and unlike some other 2 part epoxies; if the ratio of epoxy to hardener isn't right on the money, it won't cure correctly. I plan to use a precise scale if the parts are mixed by mass, or measuring spoons if the parts are supposed to be mixed in a volume ratio.

How did you measure the 2 parts, and how precise did you make the measurements? Did you have any problem with it hardening?

I've used epoxies where simply eyeballing equal parts does the trick.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I used a small digital scale; you can see it in my first picture. The mixture of system 3 is 2 parts epoxy to one part hardener by volume and 100 parts epoxy to 44 parts hardener by weight. So I used 10 grams of epoxy and 4.4 of hardener on the scale. I have had no problem. I am sure 4 teaspoons epoxy and 2 teaspoons hardener would work as well. The precision required allows for the error inherent in the measurement systems I just described. I would not eyeball mainly because not being 1 to 1 it is harder to estimate a half of a volume than it is to estimate equal.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Thanks for the info John. I have a precise scale that I'll use.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars