Bending binding, then bonding

What're You Doing?
ruby@magpage.com

Bending binding, then bonding

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

This is my first time using wood binding - I got ebony from S-M. I kept the surface wet with Windex for a few minutes, then put it to my hot hot bending iron. I moved very slowly and let the wood tell me when it was ready. The first one gave way all of a sudden and it sure looks like grain runout (top one). The second one I moved even slower but it, too, split a bit, this time slowly lifting.

Any technique tips to pass along?

Click on the picture to enlarge

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
tippie53

Re: Bending binding, then bonding

Post by tippie53 »

yes a tip I used was forgo the hot pipe and use a steam iron. You can use the iron with the pipe. ebony is tough to bend . If you can't get that to work make a boiling trough
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

What John said. It's difficult to bend.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

in actuality plastic still make a more protective binding material than wood. However wood is an added design element. I stopped using ebony a long time ago. Dyed maple bends easier or look for black fiber binding
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Thanks

I was laying in bed last night thinking how bad would black plastic be? Does the black fiber bend nicely, John?

Ed
Ed M
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

A couple of things to consider. Tape four binding pieces together and bend them in a BCG side-bending machine with the same set up as for sides. Tape two pieces to the edge of the side and bend all three together in John's BCG machine. Bend on a pipe after soaking and use a stainless spring steel sheet to back it up (especially on the waist bend). Use a thermocouple to check the temp of the wood away from the pipe surface (350). Use Indian ebony (Diospyros ebenum) instead of Gaboon ebony (Diospyros crassiflora).

I have used each of these techniques for guitars and lutes with no issues other than busting a few pieces over the last 35 years (unavoidable). I like the Indian ebony, dark and polishes vg and I haven't cracked any of it yet. I used real ebony on one of the three I just finished using an old lutemaker's technique of a half thickness top edge employing a slot cut into my bending iron to ensure good heat transfer on three sides (posted that late last year).