The banjo neck project (1 and 2)

Take us through building your guitar step by step. Post pictures and tell us what you're doing.
ruby@magpage.com

Re: The banjo neck project

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I don't think the angle of the bolts is critical. If you just enlarge the holes in the rim slightly, the bolts will pull the neck against the rim tightly even if they are a bit out.

Ed
Ed M
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I think the angle becomes critical when the studs are so far off the coordinator rods won't screw on properly. I managed to get one of them lined up very well. The second one is misaligned enough so the coordinator rod binds when I screw it on, but not enough to be of concern.

I've done a test assembly and strung it up to see how the action is. String height and alignment are good, but I've got horrible fret buzz on the 1st and 4th strings. The ends of the frets are lifting up. I will have to see about fixing that.

I think I've got the neck to final shape. or nearly so. After I fix the fret buzz problem, I'll have Jud take it for a test drive to see if he likes the way the neck feels.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

I put the stain on. There are some uneven areas I may try to fix, especially around the heel, but generally it's not too bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Jud picked up his banjo yesterday afternoon to play a couple of upcoming gigs. He likes the wide neck and frailing scoop. He is pleased with the way it turned out.

There are still a couple of details to complete. I need to make a bone nut for it. (I made the one that is on it now out of Corian, which works but bone is better.) The finish needs touching up in a couple of spots. I want to install a better neck shim.

If I were to do it again, I think I would omit the carbon fiber strips in the neck. The neck is too straight! There needs to be a slight amount of up-bow so the strings don't buzz, and this neck is s-t-r-a-i-g-h-t. Even when I crank the truss rod to put in some up-bow the neck stays straight.

The finish didn't come out as well as I had hoped. It's okay, hut I need more practice using stain.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Next project is another banjo neck! Another friend wants me to make a 5-string neck for a 1930s Epiphone Recording A tenor banjo that belonged to his dad. More details to come.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

congrats
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

If Jud doesn't object, can you eventually post a front/back picture of the full banjo?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

Sure. I'll take a couple of photos when I get it back to install the new nut.

This is the banjo I made the new neck for:
https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldtone ... s/ot-800ln
MaineGeezer

Re: The banjo neck project (1 and 2)

Post by MaineGeezer »

Here are the pictures of the front and back of the neck. I made the 5th string jog a bit too wide, but that's non-fatal.
The finish doesn't emphasize the grain as much as I'd hoped, but it is okay,

The main thing is, Jud loves the way it plays, and as long as he likes it, I'm satisfied.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaineGeezer

Starting project #2

Post by MaineGeezer »

This banjo neck project is to convert a 1920s (?) Epiphone Recording A tenor banjo to a 5-strimg banjo. Basically, remove the tenor neck and install a 5-string neck.

The guy I'm doing this for originally proposed that I make the neck, but then he saw the $110 banjo necks om eBay and ordered one. It turned out to be fairly good -- better than I expected it would be -- so I'll be putting that neck on the tenor banjo pot.

Here is a photo of the made-in-Taiwan neck. I've moved the tuners (Waverly planetarys) from the tenor neck to the new neck and also installed a Waverly 5th string tiuner.