Is the reinforcing strip always necessary?

Cbstark46143

Is the reinforcing strip always necessary?

Post by Cbstark46143 »

I find opinions in both sides of the fence.....
If I’m not using a decorative strip on the center joint of the back of my guitar, do I need a reinforcing strip on the in inside?

Please share your thoughts......
JLT

Re: Is the reinforcing strip always necessary?

Post by JLT »

Cbstark46143 wrote:I find opinions in both sides of the fence.....
If I’m not using a decorative strip on the center joint of the back of my guitar, do I need a reinforcing strip on the in inside?

Please share your thoughts......
I put it in. Whether you do depends on how much you trust the glue joint and the braces to keep the two halves from parting company. (I also put small diamonds on the center join of the soundboard, between the lower braces and the tail block, for the same reason.

If it contributes to the robustness of the guitar without affecting its tone, I don't see why I shouldn't do it.

My two cents.
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It may not be "necessary," but it sure seems like a good idea to put it in. Why would you not?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

It should be in there. The back joint is important. Without it you have a much higher risk of joint failure .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

John's the expert, here. Speaking from the chorus, I think the crossgrain reinforcement is necessary. Regardless of how the two back plates intersect, either directly or separated by a decorative strip, there is a glue joint there.

Parenthetically, I've often wondered what whether there would be a negative result from using the same sort of reinforcement strip on the backside of the soundboard.
peter havriluk
JLT

Post by JLT »

phavriluk wrote: Parenthetically, I've often wondered what whether there would be a negative result from using the same sort of reinforcement strip on the backside of the soundboard.
As I noted above, I put small (ca 3 cm square) diamonds, made from scraps from the soundboard itself, on those parts of the lower bout that don't have braces real close by. Cumpiano has instructions for it in his book. The diamonds have grains that are perpendicular to that of the soundboard.

I think that the main reason for the reinforcing strip on the back is that the back usually suffers a lot more physical abuse than the soundboard (on my guitars, at least). The fretboard and strings offer a certain amount of protection, and you've got all those braces, the bridge plate, and the soundhole reinforcement as well. The soundboard cracks I've seen have rarely been on the glue seam.
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

The back of an acoustic guitar, has the shortest radius, resulting in twice the curve than the top. The reinforcing strip helps to keep the seam together.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

I have seen several makers that add a small diamond shaped cleat or two to the top joint in the area of the lower bout that has the longest section of unsupported seam. I have done this a couple of times.

Ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ed M
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I put a small (about 1 cm) square or circular cleat in about the same place as Ed's guitar, on my tops. I try to put it about half way between the tail block and the bridge plate.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com