Headstock/Peghead shape

ChuckBarnett

Headstock/Peghead shape

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Working on headstock shape, or peghead head shape for my first build, a tenor ukulele. I welcome your opinions about what I've come up with. Gratefully!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tippie53

Re: Headstock/Peghead shape

Post by tippie53 »

looks nice to me
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

It looks okay to me. The important thing is, do YOU like it?
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Very nice. If you're happy with it, go with it.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Thank you for your encouragement! I widened the top and rounded those corners a bit and I think I like that better. Your perspective??

Chuck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phavriluk

Post by phavriluk »

For peace of mind, draw in the nut, emphasis on string spacing and location and draw the strings, to make sure the design avoids the inner two strings' fouling against the lower two tuners. The tuner post diameter needs to be used to accurately predict where the strings will fall.
peter havriluk
ChuckBarnett

Post by ChuckBarnett »

Here is what I ultimately decided upon. There was concern voiced on another forum that Gibson might not be happy with that original look. Plus this one should be easier for me to do.
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

Nice design. Is that the wood for your veneer? Beautiful stuff!

BTW, I wouldn't worry about Gibson unless their name is used. Everybody trades on each others' designs; Gibson did a version of a Martin guitar and Martin did a version of Gibson's version of a Martin (CEO-7).
Mal-2

Post by Mal-2 »

Headstocks get copied all the time. It won't be much of an issue unless you start mass-producing them, and probably not even then. If you want a Gibson-inspired headstock, go for it. If you want something else, that's fine too. There are only so many ways to fit six (or in your case, four) tuning keys onto a headstock without twisting the strings around, after all.
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

If you look up Gibson Peghead Shape, then "images" you see that there is no single Gibson shape - maybe a dozen of them. Then look up D'Angelico, Collins, Ibanez, and others to see pretty close copies on pro instruments. And Epiphone (built by Gibson) uses the same sometimes. I made an exact copy of a pre-war Gibson head and have lost no sleep over Gibson coming after a rank amateur.

And how many copies of a Martin headstock have you seen?

Ed
Ed M