Halo Clamping System

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Diane Kauffmds

Halo Clamping System

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I bought a bunch of dryer vent clamps from Ebay a year ago, with the intention of using them for a halo clamping system. I finally had the time to make 2 rudimentary halos, one for each side of the box. I routed channel for the clamps to ride, because I was afraid they may slip. My worries were unfounded. The clamps had a bend on each end, which had to be sawed off, then smoothed. The ends bite into the wood nicely.

The vent clamps provide very firm clamping pressure. In fact, I had to open them about 2 inches, because they were too hard to get around the guitar. I finally got the hang of it. This is definitely a keeper. I may remake the halos solid, rather than just around the rim. I made the rimmed halos, so that they wouldn't interfere with the radius, especially on the back. The halos are sized so that I can use them on different sized guitars.

I'm going to get a lazy susan to make it easier to turn the guitar while clamping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
tippie53

Re: Halo Clamping System

Post by tippie53 »

nice
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

Diane

Looks great- I think the halo is important and you have it just right. I have also seen this techniques with a clear vinyl hose (Ace Hardware) between the caul and the guitar for a flexible bearing surface - doing that would allow you to use a solid caul instead of the halo because it is raised up off the guitar.

Ed
Ed M
Kbore

Post by Kbore »

That's awesome. How much $ is a dryer clamp. Not familiar with the part.

I have a box of Sealy Mattress coil springs I bought on eBay, I still have to cut them into "halos". I will use them to clamp the side reinforcement strips. Your halos are also great for clamping odd and round shape furniture pieces, like the legs on queen Ann table that enevitably break. Work great on square goods too like picture frames.
Measure Twice,

Karl B
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

Kbore wrote:That's awesome. How much $ is a dryer clamp. Not familiar with the part.

I have a box of Sealy Mattress coil springs I bought on eBay, I still have to cut them into "halos". I will use them to clamp the side reinforcement strips. Your halos are also great for clamping odd and round shape furniture pieces, like the legs on queen Ann table that enevitably break. Work great on square goods too like picture frames.
These type of dryer vent clamps are usually expensive ($4+ each), but I found a box of 96 brand new clamps on EBay for $90. They're heavy clamps. I cut off the ends of each one. Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E0M0Y0/re ... 3820508699
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com