Felt for sanding and polishing pads

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MaineGeezer

Felt for sanding and polishing pads

Post by MaineGeezer »

If you go to [url]hjttp://www.mcmaster.com[/url] and look up catalog number 8759K75, you'll get a listing for 1/2" thick hard felt. The stuff makes excellent sanding pads.

In addition, I just tried something else. I cut about a 1" square block and put some StewMac polishing compound on it. It worked very well and was a lot easier to handle than a cloth. A block could easily be cut to a particular shape to get in a tight corner.

I'm going to make a set, individually marked, for coarse, medium, fine, and swirl remover. They should last quite a while.
Don't believe everything you know.
Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
tippie53

Re: Felt for sanding and polishing pads

Post by tippie53 »

I use that and 1/2 in cork
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
ruby@magpage.com

Post by ruby@magpage.com »

!/2" blue styrofoam works great also. You can get scraps at a lot of construction sites, or buy a piece for a lifetime supply at Home Despot or Blowe's

Ed
Ed M
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I am a beginner and have not tried felt, but I cut various sizes and shapes of pads out of a dense foam garden kneeling pad from a dollar store, 1/2" thick, waterproof, and pennies apiece (except we don't have pennies in Canada any more . . . )
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

An advantage of the felt blocks for polishing, which might also be true of other materials as well but it certainly is with the felt: when the polishing compound soaks in and dries, one ends up with a very fine grit sanding block that works even without the addition of more polishing compound.
When things are bad, try not to make them any worse, because it is quite likely they are bad enough already. - French Foreign Legion
Danl8

Post by Danl8 »

MaineGeezer wrote:An advantage of the felt blocks for polishing, which might also be true of other materials as well but it certainly is with the felt: when the polishing compound soaks in and dries, one ends up with a very fine grit sanding block that works even without the addition of more polishing compound.
Are you using S2-32, the hardest felt?
MaineGeezer

Post by MaineGeezer »

No - S2-20. Catalog #8759K75
Stray Feathers

Post by Stray Feathers »

I might have been more clear - the foam pads I was describing were used with wet/dry sandpaper and MicroMesh, not polishing compound.